DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
634 Posts
I just ordered a bunch of recone kits from them for my Strokers, but it'll probably be a couple weeks until I receive them. I emailed them and they were very helpful and even sell you individual parts if you don't need the entire recone kit; they work with us small-timers, lol. I am confident that they have quality stuff, based on what I see on their website. Cathy answers the phones and processes the orders, but Gene's the guy to talk to about most all the technical stuff. I can keep you updated when my order comes in.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, turns out they said the cones are NLA, and can ONLY provide a voice coil and a spider.....:sigh. Can ANYBODY recone these drivers? I'd really hate to throw them away :(

·
Registered
62 Posts
Try PSI or fixmyspeaker.com, they should be able to sell you whatever you need. Both are the same company

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Well, I decided to dive in anyways. Speaker Exchange can get me new coils, spiders, and foam surrounds. I have to be able to re-use everything else. Any suggestions for breaking down the glue without damaging anything???

Pics:
JL Speaker Repair

·
Premium Member
634 Posts
Order a nice stiff cone that will accept that vc, or one that can be cut to accept that vc size. If you can't find a cone with enough depth, you can use a shallower cone and extend the former length with a thin sheet of aluminum wrapped around the former and glued with CA glue.

This is what I did to recone a Cerwin-Vega Vega15 subwoofer.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
For removing the glue/foam on the cone, denatured alcohol works well. On the basket you can be a little bit more aggressive, which means MEK. As per Chad on MSS

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Was the original issue a rotted surround or was the coil shot too?

Rotted surrounds, sagging spiders, and 2 open coils. They were dead. I've had one sitting in mineral spirits for about a day now, not much change. I need something stronger to break this glue, they use some damn good ****.

·
Premium Member
634 Posts
I've tried debonder that is supposed to break down the CA glue used in speakers. No luck. That is why I resorted to grinding off everything off the former.

IMHO, if you really really tried, you can find/modify a cone to avoid the extra work of removing the old one. Can you measure how deep the cone is? (aka: cone height)

Edit: I take some of my advice back. Since that pole piece is not vented, the VRC or something similar must be used to vent out the heat.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
on the baskets?
I'm trying to break free the rock solid glue at the triple joint right now. I HAVE to get that apart, because I have to re-use both the VRC, as well as the cone/dustcap. Dustcaps are finally removed. But the spider is sandwiched between the VRC collar and the cone itself, so that needs to come apart, or the whole operation is bust.

I've tried debonder that is supposed to break down the CA glue used in speakers. No luck. That is why I resorted to grinding off everything off the former.

IMHO, if you really really tried, you can find/modify a cone to avoid the extra work of removing the old one. Can you measure how deep the cone is? (aka: cone height)

Edit: I take some of my advice back. Since that pole piece is not vented, the VRC or something similar must be used to vent out the heat.

I have no interest in rebuilding these into 'frankensubs'. The entire reason for wanting to recone them so bad is because I loved the sound that these old subs made. Something thats nearly impossible to find in todays subs. If it's not possible, then it's not possible. Can't fault me for trying though.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
If I DID want to try a different cone - where would I even find just a cone? I'm not familiar with the parts houses. I can measure this one, and try to find one as close tot he same dimensions and as close to the same mass as these? These are poly, so they're super light. I'd need a digi scale to weigh them.

·
Premium Member
634 Posts
Speaker Exchange sells cones, as does PSI. Even Ebay. CACo_Org has a forum devoted just for speaker parts. I kinda ran into the same problem ordering recones for my Stroker 12s. I too had to have these sounding good because I love the sound of them. The only place that had nice stiff cones that matched closed down, and Speaker Exchange only offered similar sized cones but much lighter/softer. I decided to "double up" with two cones sandwiched with fiberglass resin between them to make them act as one, lol. So yea, it can be a pain, but if you realy want them to work, you'll do almost anything, lol.

What does worry me about your JL subs is that VRC. Without that venting, you probably will get extraneous noises from the air trapped under the spider not being able to escape. I hadn't put much thought into it, but now that I did, it seems like that piece is essential for that speaker, since the pole is not vented.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts