DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I heard this story on the radio this morning on my way to work, generally pisses me off.

Inklings : Major Record Labels to Possibly Abandon CD Format by End of 2012

Essentially since the vast majority of the walking, talking, bubblegum chewing population is perfectly content with horrible sounding compressed downloads (read MP3)

Sigh.. I really hope this isn't true / never happens.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I know I hope this isn't the case. I run the DRZ-9255 and much prefer regular old school CDs to the compressed audio variety. I have, however, noticed a few offering FLAC downloads as an option.

·
Registered
840 Posts
that most certainly will not happen.
I agree. (without having any actual knowledge on the subject) I believe a lot of companies have already decreased the numbers of CDs they produce but I can't see a situation where they abandon them entirely. I mean, they still make vinyl. There's enough market to keep it going. Like me for example. In the past 2 years, I've probably bought 75-100 CDs but have only downloaded 2 albums.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
FLAC is a great format, I have an ever growing collection, but I don't see it gaining support in the future. With the bazillion portable music players out there.. how many support its playback? FLAC has been around nearly as long as MP3.

MP3 is the widely adopted format, and I don't see that changing. This format is king for digital downloads, legal and otherwise.

I personally would support a quality lossless container like FLAC with no DRM as the new standard in lieu of CD so long as blanks are still available and I can burn my own! I just don't see it happening.

Fact of the matter is most people don't realize MP3's sound like crap. This is due to a number of factors like just plain ignorance, lack of caring in the first place, but more often than not the playback equipment is so poor there isn't an appreciable difference between CD and MP3 audio to see the merits of the "inconvenient" format.

In the end the masses are what will be catered to, and the audiophiles among us are an infinitely small percentage of the customer base.

Also lets face it... The CD format is going on 30 years old. That is a HUGE lifespan for any storage medium. Especially in today's marketplace where the latest and greatest new technology is downgraded to junk compared to the NEW latest and greatest in 24months time.

·
Registered
840 Posts
There aren't many that support FLAC playback but, I just convert it to Apple lossless (.alac, .m4a) and play through my iPod, which most units are capable of. I don't really see a loss in bit rate or file size going from FLAC to Apple lossless.

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
that most certainly will not happen.
absolutely............and beta will never go away and the VHS players will never go away. :poke:

if there is no demand for them to produce CDs, they will go away. no different than the movement from dvd to blueray. dvd demand is down as people replace dvd players in favor of blueray.

·
Registered
17,149 Posts
absolutely............and beta will never go away and the VHS players will never go away. :poke:

if there is no demand for them to produce CDs, they will go away. no different than the movement from dvd to blueray. dvd demand is down as people replace dvd players in favor of blueray.

Contrary to popular belief, not everyone has high speed internet. Finding a format will be a battle from hell. convincing the public that you will no longer be able to purchase music/movies on media ANY MORE will be nearly impossible.

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
I didnt say physical media will go away, I just think that CDs will. with how cheap flash memory is now, replacing a CD with a 1gig thumbdrive might actualy become a cheaper mode soon.

I could be totally wrong, too, but that is my take on it. as for format, they could use wav or even "CD on a stick" format, lol. you have to admit that having mini thumb drives (that cant be scratched) is enticing. you could carry 10 thumb drives in the same space of one cd jewel case. Imagine a box set that all fits on one thumb drive!

·
Registered
17,149 Posts
I could totally see the stick thing, and in reality, it's how I transport music around A LOT.

But the issue is convincing the population that it's going to be that way.. I mean hell, up until a YEAR ago cars still came new with cassette decks..

Ain't happening in 2012 :D

·
Registered
302 Posts

On a side not, vinyl albums are making a strong comeback, because it has attributes that make it attractive, even with the ridiculous prices they are demanding.

But the dollar is KING, and the crappy formats will probably prevail. I won't be buying them. The RIAA can't help but shoot itself in the foot with every decision they make.

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
I could totally see the stick thing, and in reality, it's how I transport music around A LOT.

But the issue is convincing the population that it's going to be that way.. I mean hell, up until a YEAR ago cars still came new with cassette decks..

Ain't happening in 2012 :D
oh I agree. not in 2012. maybe by 2020

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
I didnt say physical media will go away, I just think that CDs will. with how cheap flash memory is now, replacing a CD with a 1gig thumbdrive might actualy become a cheaper mode soon.

I could be totally wrong, too, but that is my take on it. as for format, they could use wav or even "CD on a stick" format, lol. you have to admit that having mini thumb drives (that cant be scratched) is enticing. you could carry 10 thumb drives in the same space of one cd jewel case. Imagine a box set that all fits on one thumb drive!
I really like the "CD on a stick" format....mini thumb drives might be the wave of the future. I know we are in for a change and it might be right around the corner

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
On a side not, vinyl albums are making a strong comeback, because it has attributes that make it attractive, even with the ridiculous prices they are demanding.

But the dollar is KING, and the crappy formats will probably prevail. I won't be buying them. The RIAA can't help but shoot itself in the foot with every decision they make.
Do they still make turntables:confused:

·
Banned
2,895 Posts
I have Bass Mekanik V5.0 on CD and downloaded from iTunes (yes I listen to better music, it's just what I had on hand). So just yesterday I made sure all my setting for each source were the same and did an a/b comparison. The song was Bass Mekanik's Toccata in B and I noted no difference in the playback, other than the signal from the MP3 format seemed a bit stronger.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Do they still make turntables:confused:
Yes. They have experienced a resurgence in the US over the past ~5 years and remain very main stream in europe. Check out the "Avid" line,
Russia's President Dmitry Medvedev even likes to spin the vinyl. A good buddy of mine has two of them as reference pieces for reviewing audiophile gear.

http://www.avidhifi.co.uk/medvedev.htm

Kenreau

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
Yes. They have experienced a resurgence in the US over the past ~5 years and remain very main stream in europe. Check out the "Avid" line,
Russia's President Dmitry Medvedev even likes to spin the vinyl. A good buddy of mine has two of them as reference pieces for reviewing audiophile gear.

http://www.avidhifi.co.uk/medvedev.htm

Kenreau

I think I may some old albums stored away at my mom's house.

I might have to pick up a turntable and go back in time

·
Registered
5,234 Posts
My Grandmother passed last year and had a bunch of ceramic records. I didn't even think of picking them up. Got one of those old unamplified players as well. Even some old foreign language learning ceramics still in the cases.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts