DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking today about installing my system after work today and i got to thinking.

Are multiple crossovers necessary or are they a hinderance to your sound?

I ask because all systems may have multiple crossovers present. Mine for example has a hp for fronts only, lp for subs, the amps have their own, and the components have their own.
Using fronts as an example....
Would it be good/smart to pass "highs" using the HUs xover, then use the amps at about the same frequency and then let the passives do their thing?

Seems like it may create holes in the range potentially. But I just wanted to get some experts takes on the issue.

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
just pick which one you want to use and go for it. no sense in 3 crossovers on the same speaker.

·
Registered
93 Posts
just pick which one you want to use and go for it. no sense in 3 crossovers on the same speaker.
x2. Using more than one makes it really hard to adjust. Pick the most accurate one if you can tell the difference. If they are all the same use the one that is the most easily adjusted while tuning.

·
Registered
6,376 Posts
Using two at same frequency will add the slopes together, for a steep slope. You can offset them if you use a 6db slope then another lower it will cut some then cut a lot when they add up for example. If you use 12db or more it cuts fast enough you really can't step the response, but it will steepen the slope. It is usually not needed so people don't bother, and they can be hard to set. Numbers on an amp dial are often off some you have to play tones to see where its really at or some other way to measure it...or just do it by ear. I don't know what using two xover does for your phase if you worry about that, they do change the phase. I used two at 50LP on my IB quad 12s because they tuned too high, even had to cut at 50 on the HU EQ also to get them flat. But before that HU I had a different xover that went down to 35Hz LP and it worked fine at 40 or so. The HU only went to 50Hz so I used the 50 on that amp also otherwise I left the amp at 100 or so; could not turn it off. You can use them for safety, for example set the HP on your mids to 50 on the amp when you run it at 80 normally, then if the HU one got shut off or something you would still have 50 on there and not hammer them with full on bass but it would not affect them normally.

I always only use the HU xovers if I can, because I detest having to get into the trunk to set something....if your HU has what you need of course. If you have passives on highs (above the sub, or passive 2 way + sub) then the passive comps rarely have a HP for the mid anyway you have to use something at 80Hz or where ever you run it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts