Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
17,149 Posts
IASCA uses/recommends German Maestro as their "reference"
Headphones

FWIW

I have no experience with any of these
I will in a few days.. I bought a set of MB Quart QP220 same as the GM line.

BUT they are ungodly difficult to drive, my amplifier should arrive today/tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good replies guys, thanks.

Chad-you're right, found similar sites all the same:(

Notloudenough and Wesayso-too pricey! Wesayso-the site you linked to does back the EMMA claim.

I'm looking in the sub £100 bracket (pref sub £75 as they'll only ever be used tuning my car!)-maybe I'm asking too much performance for so little money?

Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
1,261 Posts

·
Human (not a robot)
2,384 Posts
Good replies guys, thanks.

Chad-you're right, found similar sites all the same:(

Notloudenough and Wesayso-too pricey! Wesayso-the site you linked to does back the EMMA claim.

I'm looking in the sub £100 bracket (pref sub £75 as they'll only ever be used tuning my car!)-maybe I'm asking too much performance for so little money?

Any other suggestions?
This pair is only $119 GMP160 so thats £76.93

Like I said I have no idea. Grado gets good reviews but are pricey IIRC. I remember reading on here (maybe you'll have good luck searching) about a set of Sony's that had flat response from 20-20K. They were very inexpensive. I have been looking at a set of Kicker over the ear headphones that are only $49 at Best Buy.
They seem to be right up my alley.
Good luck in your search, let us know what you decide on.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,394 Posts
Linkwitz says the Etymotic ER-4s are a reference set of phones, especially with the inline EQ circuit. But they are about $250 here in the US.

·
Registered
941 Posts
I picked up as set of Shure SRH840 last year. I love them. Very clean and flat response. Not boomy like some of the Seinns. Can easily be driven by an ipod. I bought mine from crazydave on ebay for $150. Came with extra ear pads and a 1/8 to 1/4 adaptor. Good luck.

Shure SRH840 Reviews

·
Registered
701 Posts
If you truly are interested in the best sound for your dollar, you need to check out this blog: NwAvGuy

It might be a bit overwhelming at first, but just start reading and you'll see the value in his work. I have his O2 amp and it's quite incredible with my Grado SR80i headphones.

EDIT: BTW, check out Grado lower end headphones: SR60, SR80, SR125. Pleasantly surprising for the price.

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Maybe something like this helps?
Stereowise Plus: Headphone Shootout Part 1 - The Over The Ear Models
There are cheaper options mentioned compared to a known reference ;)

The Aerial Tank Blizzard seems to fit your bill? Found it for € 77.95 in the Netherlands so it should meet your price goals.
Seem like a good find-will take a closer look-cheers

EDIT: check this review-not good:( http://reviews.cnet.com/headsets/aerial7-tank-headphones-blizzard/4505-13831_7-34138637.html

This pair is only $119 GMP160 so thats £76.93

Like I said I have no idea. Grado gets good reviews but are pricey IIRC. I remember reading on here (maybe you'll have good luck searching) about a set of Sony's that had flat response from 20-20K. They were very inexpensive. I have been looking at a set of Kicker over the ear headphones that are only $49 at Best Buy.
They seem to be right up my alley.
Good luck in your search, let us know what you decide on.
Yes, but by the time they land here I could double that! Damn import taxes:( I will see what i can get them for over here/Europe

QFT.

I would search the classifieds on that board. You might be able to snag someone's "spare" set of Grado's or something and come off like a bandit.
I've thought about it-but would rather buy these new-if there's any issue with something bought from the US (most users are in the US) I'd have been better off shelling out for some more expensive new ones here.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts

·
Registered
17,149 Posts
I think that instead of plunking down the money on what some car sound douchebags recommend you should go with what sounds good to you and actually enjoy them.

·
Registered
941 Posts
I think that instead of plunking down the money on what some car sound douchebags recommend you should go with what sounds good to you and actually enjoy them.
Ultimately I agree.

You can only take these suggestions as phones to go check out for yourself. Lots of people like Seinns. I really don't. Their reviews are normally very good though. Good luck!

·
Registered
17,149 Posts
Ultimately I agree.

You can only take these suggestions as phones to go check out for yourself. Lots of people like Seinns. I really don't. Their reviews are normally very good though. Good luck!
I like the HD600 and up... I recenty bought some MB Quarts for cheap, they are not bad, a ***** to drive though, my headphone amp/DA arrived tonight and I'm much happier with them. My old standbys are Sony V6/7506.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I own both of these and they are very accurate, not too high on price, and have good rep on the audioholics.com forum (to include others):

Audio-Technica ATH-M50 Studio Monitor Headphones (closed)
Grado Prestige Series SR-60i Padded Headphones (open)

Anyone got any recommendations for a decent, but relatively cheap set of headphones? Won't be used in the house, only to set up my car system for reference purposes and used with either an ipod or iphone.

I've had two recommendations so far:

Amazon.co.uk: Used and New: Denon AHD510 Over Ear Headphones - Black fit nicely in low budget requirments, but not reviewing too well

Or:
Alessandro MS-1i Reviews :: Headphone Reviews

Any other suggestions?

1 - 20 of 45 Posts