DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm always picking up amps here and there when I find a decent deal but most of the time I end up getting equipment with scratches, dings or just plain haven't been taken care of properly.

I guess my question is: Is there a thread around here where you guys post some before/during/after pics of amps you have refinished yourself or even some "How-to" tips on doing this?? I've disassembled a good amount of amps and tried refinishing them with decent results but maybe there are some tips or tricks I'm missing.

I'm currently about to take on 3 Clarion amps (Arc Audio KAR series clones?) 2 APX 401.4s and an DPX1001.2. I'll try and post some before and afters after but I'm trying to figure out if I'm going to rattle can them, powder coat them or chrome(for sh*ts and giggles) them. I know these aren't the greatest amps, or best looking, but it'll be a fun project/learning experience for me. Maybe I've been watching too much Street Customs on Netflix.

Here's a few pics of the APX 401.4 I received today. The other 401 and 1001.2 will be about 8+/10s. This one is about a 6/10 cosmetically and one of the corners got bent because of poor packaging from the seller.:mad:

Attachments

·
Registered
151 Posts
ive done that with an amp i got from a friend. traded something i had (sub, comps, i forget) for a Fi BL, enclosure, and cheap ass power acoustik amp. the amp was kinda had it and just plain ugly so i decided to refinish it. just winging it i buzzed the heavy nicks and **** with 80 grit on the angle grinder, and followed up with 120, 180, and 320 on the DA. came out pretty good. then i just rattle canned it black and called it a day :) haha

before:

after:

ended up trading that amp with a friend for an Arc Audio KAR 400.4 that was in even WORSE condition. started to refinish that but was jonesing for some music in my truck so i said eff it and just put it in my truck. long story short, i killed the amp. had it in the cubby of my truck, which i thought had enough air volume and circulation from the cab sides to vent out, but it went into thermal and refuses to come out :( i guess now i have time to refninish it and then sent it into repair and sell. heh.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Finished the amp.

It was redone with rattle cans. Primered, based and gloss coated. The color is a metallic black. I also relocated the Clarion badge as you can see in the pictures. The more I look at the original amps I received today, the uglier they look. I'm glad I picked this color because I was just going to redo this amp the original silver/grey color. Even with the side panels left the original color, it still looks awesome to me. I'm going to go ahead and pick up another can to do the other two amps. Two 4 channels, 1 active on the components, 1 for midbass, and the 2 channel for the subs.

I took some shots at different angles so you can see what the color looks like. The screens in the windows of the heatsink were redone in flat black. I have a bunch of pics of the different stages and disassembly just not sure what part of the forum to post this project in.

Like it?? Hate it??

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
before:

after:
Looks good.

I picked up a Jensen Power 760 for free a while back that was just hideous. Missing screws, scratched, dings, rust etc. I just rattle canned that thing flat black. No prep other than Windex, then sprayed coat after coat until it looked decent :laugh:. I'll post a pic of it. It actually looks like it's worth $10 to $20 at a garage sale now as opposed to a junk amp for parts. I don't even know if the thing works.

·
Registered
546 Posts
i think you did a heck of a good job! ive tried similar things to some worse for wear amps on craigslist. i was trying to keep from painting them, but after seeing yours, it looks like a good idea.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i think you did a heck of a good job! ive tried similar things to some worse for wear amps on craigslist. i was trying to keep from painting them, but after seeing yours, it looks like a good idea.

Thanks. I'm surprised that I was patient enough to wait for all the coats of primer, paint and gloss to dry. I really took my time to properly disasseble it, prepping and was sure to let everything dry before going on to the next stage.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts