DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I currently have a 3 way upfront on the dash / Apillar area and am thinking of pointing the left speakers towards the driver's side window, and moving the right speakers closer to me and pointed at me, so I can effectively sit closer to center stage while driving. Of course this won't be good for the passenger side but I'm not concerned about that. Anyone tried something like that? My main concern is will I lose some clarity of sound by having it reflect off the window before it reaches me. Thanks.

·
Registered
6,848 Posts
Good question. I look forward to the responses.

I think it's going to depend largely on the reflecting surface and just what the aiming looks like. Comb filtering could potentially be an issue. I say try it.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think it's going to depend largely on the reflecting surface and just what the aiming looks like. Comb filtering could potentially be an issue. I say try it.
Thanks. I actually have plastic film on the inside of my windows for security and to help abit with sound insulation so I don't know if that will make a difference.

·
Registered
513 Posts
I've heard reflection based setups sound awesome in some cases (veloze's Accord is a great example -- he has the tweeters vertically reflected off the windshield) but in most cars it just sounds terrible.

I know this is not the answer you want to hear, but unless someone has tried it with your vehicle, you really just have to experiment and see how it works out.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've heard reflection based setups sound awesome in some cases (veloze's Accord is a great example -- he has the tweeters vertically reflected off the windshield) but in most cars it just sounds terrible.

I know this is not the answer you want to hear, but unless someone has tried it with your vehicle, you really just have to experiment and see how it works out.
Ok,...I'm pretty set on trying it out,...just wanted to know if there was any information that would convince me not to try before I get started.

·
Registered
6,848 Posts
Check out the kickpanels pros/cons thread in the tutorials section. Werewolf talks a bit about reflections in that thread, IIRC. His suggestion is to use large dome/cone drivers with limited off-axis response to control reflections and reduce comb filtering.

·
Registered
9,251 Posts
If you can fab something up easily, it'd be a fun experiment and I'm curious to see how it goes. I think one thing that will be difficult is with the left speaker reflecting off of the window, the sweet spot will be very small. Of course i haven't tried it, but i would think that the angle of the drivers to the window then to your ear would have to be spot on and any head movement will through it all off. I'm sure you'll need to play with time alignment a bit to work it out, but it could be a fun experiment. Also, with the early reflection off of the glass I think (even if you get it to work) you'll essentially be moving the "source" closer to you. Your left and right drivers will now act as though they are a different horizontal plane, and in a car, those couple of inches could make a big difference to staging.

Anyway, this is just speculation. I'm a noob, but I say try it out at worse you should learn something.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I'm going to try something similar with my a-pillar setup before I get to fiberglassing. I hope to do it in the coming weeks. I'll be paying attention to this thread too!!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok, hope to have it done in a couple months, as it will be done in spare time here and there... will post when I'm finished. If it sounds ok I'd like to take it down to Marv's BBQ for some tuning advice but probably won't be done in time for that...hopefully can make it next year though.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts