DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok so I have had my PPI 2350DM (1992) for over a year now and I recently acquired an A1200 (1996) to go with it. Both amps were recently gone thru electronically and received minor repairs from envision electronics, who did an incredible job at a very reasonable price. Now that the amps are in 100% working order and have been returned to their sonic greatness I felt that they should look as great as they sound. Now I know there are people here that have redone the graphics on their PPI amps using vinyl stickers and such. I considered going this route and even contacted several places to try to get this done. What I realized though is that I do not really like the "Miami Vice" colors in the graphics, in fact many years ago when I owned my first 2350DM I sent it back to PPI to have it re-shrouded in black. But let's be honest the PPI art graphics have become something of an enigma, they represent the excess and greatest of the 90s era of car audio. So that being said I decided to attempt to update the amps with a more monochromatic look thinking it might be cheaper to have done also. In any case I still couldnt really find anyone to redo the graphics the way I wanted them at any price really.

Then I realized that we have a laser engraver at work. We use it to make plaques at work for retirements and achievements things like that. We buy brass with a black finish powdercoated over it, we use the laser to cut thru the powdercoat exposing the brass underneath. So needless to say I made some arrangements with the guy who runs it to let me use it. So I spent most of my day off on MLK day scanning and stitching together the image of the art of the 2350DM and A1200. The 2350DM came out great, the A1200 did not. Because the A1200 has the contoured heatsink I could not get the center art section to sit flat on the scanner bed and the distance caused some blurriness in the graphic and text. So for now I will show you the 2350DM and I will post the A1200 once I get a clearer image. Here is the final color image I produced.

I then put the image into gray scale to give me a monochromatic view of what it would look like and I love it. Here is the gray scale image with some cleaning up of the graphics, there were some scratches and nicks in the original image.

So my intent is to have both amps powdercoated in black and then cut down to the bare steel and aluminum underneath giving a black amp with silver graphics. Here is what it should look like.

So being happy with what I was hoping to see I had to try it. So today I loaded up a sheet of 24" x 12" coated brass today and put the laser to work. Here is the results, the detail came out very well.

The only problem that I had is that even though the background looked pure white in the image the laser revealed the presence of some pixels in the negative space which basically made the laser leave a trail in some of the white areas of the image. I have since had some friends in the photo dept. actually cut out the art from the background. I will do one more test run before a real shroud but I am close enough that I know this is going to work and wanted to share it with all of you.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Awesome idea, to bring a retro into a retromod, just by the test peice, you'll have a truly one off piece off PPI art!

Lymen

·
Registered
131 Posts
Very cool project. I work with a rotary table engraver at one of my jobs, would love to get to use a laser system.

I've never seen someone laser engrave through powder coating before. Will the powdercoat hold it's edges just fine after the laser cuts out the design?

I'm going to use my rotary system to do some cool paintwork designs by cutting out the design and using some sanding tricks to have the engraved section a separate paint layer.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Very cool project. I work with a rotary table engraver at one of my jobs, would love to get to use a laser system.

I've never seen someone laser engrave through powder coating before. Will the powdercoat hold it's edges just fine after the laser cuts out the design?

I'm going to use my rotary system to do some cool paintwork designs by cutting out the design and using some sanding tricks to have the engraved section a separate paint layer.
My plan is to send them back to the powdercoater and have a layer of clear powdercoat applied over to seal everything

·
Registered
131 Posts
My plan is to send them back to the powdercoater and have a layer of clear powdercoat applied over to seal everything
I was thinking that would be a great way to go. Can't wait to see the final product.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
I agree, this is a very nice project. I like the monochromatic look that you are going after.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So I took some time today to run the laser on the actual shroud. I did a quick test run on the inside first and then flipped it over and went to work. The first pass actually was almost only black underneath. Second pass showed some grayish tones and then finally down to bare metal. So on the third pass I had the darkest sections in bare metal with other areas in tones of black and gray, it turned out amazing.

For comparison

·
Registered
156 Posts
That looks AWESOME! I like what you've done so much better than the original look. That really looks great, IMHO. Congrats on the all the hard work paying off.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the nice words guys, where are all the PPI guys at.

·
Registered
131 Posts
That turned out fantastic. Good work.

·
Registered
131 Posts
WOW ! That is awesome ! GREAT WORK.

Even as a major PPI fan I would have never run one Of the art's amps until ... I had a white p/u ... Then it seemed more ok ;) the black "printed board" amps on the other hand = pure hotness ! Much like what you have created !!!

·
Registered
480 Posts
A real tribute to the original!! Outstanding!

Any chance I could send you a scan of the promo license plate I have and do the same thing? There is a scaled down scan in my avatar..

I would pay of course.. :)

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
A real tribute to the original!! Outstanding!

Any chance I could send you a scan of the promo license plate I have and do the same thing? There is a scaled down scan in my avatar..

I would pay of course.. :)
I can probably do that when I do the A1200. What were you looking to have it done on. If you had a blank powdercoated license plate I could do that. The only material I have here is that black coated brass. I could cut a license plate size piece out. The black on brass looks kinda nice if you just want to frame it. I could sell you the 2350DM proof that I ran also if your interested, maybe like $50 shipped. I could probably do the license plate for around $30 shipped. These take a few hours tweaking the image and then time in front of the engraver to come out right. I would prefer to have you just send me a high quality scan of the image you want. Also I can increase the size if you just want some cool wall art, 24"x12" is the biggest I can go.

·
Classic cars & McIntosh
846 Posts
Thanks for the nice words guys, where are all the PPI guys at.
Some of us were lurking around this thread until the magic happened ;). Big congrats on this project!! It turned out much better than I could have ever imagined.

·
the darkside is loud
6,092 Posts
What a great solution.
I'll pm CHY this thread.
I think she'll love this.

Bret
PPI-ART COLLECTOR

1 - 20 of 42 Posts