DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Looking to save some money on a new system set-up but not sure if refurbished amp are the way to go.

I saw a PPI PCX-4125 for 239$ or a PCX-440 for 99$ on ikesound.com

Are refurbished amp amps that people broke and they are sent back to the company or just not working amps that are redone before even leaving the plant?

Why is the new DCX 1000.4 cheaper then the old stuff?? Same specs... Newer model but cheaper!!??!?!?

Thanks

·
Registered
137 Posts
A lot of refurbished amps are damaged amplifiers that are handled under warranty. Instead of fixing an amp, they send a new amp under warranty back to the customer. Eventually they fix em up, paint em and do other modifications to them to get them playing. Some have scratches on them where as others are perfectly fine. The manufacturers then sell these refurbished amps to get them out of their warehouse. Now they do come with a 30-90 day warranty but BUYER BEWARE! Problems may still linger within the previously burnt up amplifier.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok, I see.

I was wondering if it would be best to go with a refurb or a used amp.

·
Registered
77 Posts
There are two ways to look at this issue. One perspective suggests that if an amplifier had one problem then it is bound to have another. Maybe the factory was having a bad day or there were a bad bunch of components. This would make me want to stay away from refurbished stuff.

On the other hand... How much oversight is given to each product that leaves a high production assembly line. They probably throughly check an amp every so often and if things are good then they assume that all the ones inbetween were fine too. Many refurbished amps are ones than never worked right in the first place. They made it trough the limited quality control at the factory and were sent back by the dealers when they malfunctioned when put to actual use. These amps, when sent back, must be looked over to figure out what is wrong. They probably recieve more attention than any new amp that leaves the factory. This would lead me to believe that a refurbished amp might be more reliable than a random new amp off the assembly line.

I've bought refurbished and used amps before and never had any problems. In fact, the only amps that I've ever had crap out on me were Infinity amps that I bought new. They lasted just past the warranty date. :rolleyes: Now I'm using 10 year old PPI's with no problems.

No matter what you buy you are taking a risk. The most important thing is getting something installed in your car so you can enjoy listening to it. If you are comfortable buying refurbished then go for it. You won't have to wait for the used amp you want to show up on e-bay and then get out bid :mad:

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the PPI PCX-4125 and other models are cheaper refurb then used...

·
Registered
44 Posts
I bought my refurbished PCX-280 from onlinecarstereo.com and I havent had a problem with it. Just make sure ikesound has a good return policy.

Edit: I would make sure you know what you are getting, the specs are wrong for the PCX-280 they have listed. Its should be 2x80 into 4 Ohms stereo and 320 into 4 Ohms bridged.

·
Registered
17,149 Posts
I preder refurbs as they have been tested by a person on real equipment. I have had NO problems in either car or pro audio.

Chad

1 - 7 of 7 Posts