DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I have come upon a bit of a predicament so here goes... I have a 2003 GMC Sierra Regular Cab Shortbox truck with the following setup:
Alpine CDA-9883
Alpine SPR-17S Components
Kicker DS 4x6s in the back
(2) Alpine SWR-1023D Subs
RF punch 400.4 running components
PG XS2500 running subs

Right now I have a fairly small sealed box(0.5cube per sub) and I feel it is lacking at low frequencies. When the box was built I was really limited for space in order for me to mount the amps. I am going to be getting a 2011 Kicker IX1000.5 in the near future to replace my old amps. This allows me to free up space to change my box setup. Here's the deal, sealed or ported in my truck. If ported how should I setup the ports. I can get about 1.2 cubes gross internal volume but thats pretty much it. If anyone has any experience fooling around with options behind the seats in a regular cab truck that would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Jamie

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
You've gotta have a little more room than that, don't you? I was able to find a little better than 2 cft. behind the seat of my reg cab Colorado. Seems like the bigger truck would have a little more room... ???

Here's what I'm currently running. It's something like 1.9 cft. gross and is 1.3 cft. NET tuned to 28hz. The port exits out the side behind the passenger's seat.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey I just went and did some more measurements, I can build about 1.7 cubes at absolute max for both subs. The problem in my truck is I have a center console which limits the depth if I want it to be still usable. I will have to do some fancier building but I can do it if need be. I do like your setup with the port coming out the side. How much room do you have between the port and the side wall of your truck? Was thinking about a downfiring box if i can figure a way to make it fit. Have to relocate my jack but I think downfiring could sound good.

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
The general rule of thumb is to leave a distance equal to the diameter of the port from any obsruction. I'm using a 4" port and it is 4" from the wall. No problems.

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
In that situation, subs forward with the port firing either up towards the roof or out the side like the picture would generally be the way to go.

I do recall one similar install where I actually had enough room to make the sub downfiring with the vent out the side, and created a storage rack on the top of the box. I don't think it had as much impact as forward facing subs in a cab like that, but it did play a little lower being loaded off the floor. Either way could work for you.

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
What about twin ports? Anyone ever built a box with a port on each side? Curious why I don't see any boxes that have the sub in the center, with the port exiting on both passenger and driver's side of the cab.

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
What about twin ports? Anyone ever built a box with a port on each side? Curious why I don't see any boxes that have the sub in the center, with the port exiting on both passenger and driver's side of the cab.
I thought about doing just that, but the port lengths neccessary to pull it off would have required a much more complex build, full of elbows, etc and would have chewed up more of my available NET volume... something I could not afford to lose.

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
Oh ok. I'm about to install a 15" in my Ram and definitely have the room. Building a 3.5 cu.ft. enclosure and always wondered why I don't see the twin ports since it seems they corner load VERY well in a regular cab.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Personally I think a single port would sound better. The way I think of it, whether right or wrong I don't know, is that if possible you want to move as much air as possible in the same direction for better SQ and SPL. If you have two ports facing either side of the cab it seems to me that a) there would be less air moving in the same direction and b) the sound would be "loose" as the air from the port right behind you and the air from the port on the other side of the cab would be entering your ears at different times.

Looks like I am going to pull my current box this weekend and see what I can do about a downfiring box. I am hoping it will make my bass surround me instead of hitting me from behind like my current sealed setup with subs facing the seats.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts