DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How does the remote turn on/off signal work? And how do I test it to make sure it is working properly? This is something that should be active when turning on the radio and not when turning on the car, correct?

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
it is a 12V switched wire.

radio on = 12V
radio off = 0V

make sure you are measuring the right wire. some HUs (like alpine) have a remote wire and an antennae wire. the remote is on when the HU is on. the ANT wire is on only when the radio is on. (designed to put the power ANT up)

·
Registered
17,149 Posts
It will not supply much current, it's driven by a small transistor.

So don't get any crazy ideas.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
minbari: Thank you, that helps a lot.

chad: LOL, no crazy ideas. Just some simple troubleshooting. :)

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
minbari: Thank you, that helps a lot.

chad: LOL, no crazy ideas. Just some simple troubleshooting. :)
becareful with that wire. if it touches ground or you exceed the current value (ussualy around 500mA) you will blow the little transistor in the HU and its game over. you will have to use a different turn-on method (or have it repaired)

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
becareful with that wire. if it touches ground or you exceed the current value (ussualy around 500mA) you will blow the little transistor in the HU and its game over. you will have to use a different turn-on method (or have it repaired)
Thanks for the tip. Is this something I can daisy chain?

·
Registered
17,149 Posts
sure, on AMPS, etc. Because on that end you are using it to simply turn ON a transistor.

Depends on how many you plan to activate.

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
most amplifiers these days take about 15-20mA to turn on. with a 500mA restriction, you do that math ;) its alot of amplifiers. to be safe, I always have the turnon lead activate a relay. then you can turn on 20+ amperes and if you cook it, then its only a $5 relay.

·
Registered
17,149 Posts
to be safe, I always have the turnon lead activate a relay. then you can turn on 20+ amperes and if you cook it, then its only a $5 relay.
and your neon, and your fans, and the motor for the disco ball and a couple pin-spots.

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
and your neon, and your fans, and the motor for the disco ball and a couple pin-spots.
exactly! and dont forget the motor for the bubbles in the jacuzzi!

·
Registered
17,149 Posts
and don't forget to put a quenching diode on the relay coil... or you will nuke the transistor in the radio, back EMF is a cocksucker.

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
and don't forget to put a quenching diode on the relay coil... or you will nuke the transistor in the radio, back EMF is a cocksucker.
lol, I may have to make that my new sig, lol.

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
Seriously? Hows this done? Any pictures or anything?

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk
ya, seriously. do NOT put the diode on backwards. any simple recitifying diode at rat shack will work

protection diode.jpg

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
no, it goes between the coil legs. so if it is a standard bosch relay.

then the diode goes between 85 and 86, with the line(positive) side of the diode towards the positive side.

·
Registered
163 Posts
no, it goes between the coil legs. so if it is a standard bosch relay.

then the diode goes between 85 and 86, with the line(positive) side of the diode towards the positive side.
Is this necessary? Or whats the purpose? Does the fuse not do the same duty?

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
most amplifiers these days take about 15-20mA to turn on. with a 500mA restriction, you do that math ;) its alot of amplifiers. to be safe, I always have the turnon lead activate a relay. then you can turn on 20+ amperes and if you cook it, then its only a $5 relay.
Remote turn-ons are not good for 500mA. Think more like 100-150mA. And stop using a stupid relay for this. The proper route is a transistor if you want to buffer it. A relay is improper.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts