DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

21 - 40 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
I'm glad I'm happy with throwing an amp to front speakers with an 80 Hz high pass and an amp to the sub with 80 Hz low pass and calling it a day. I couldn't see myself spending several hundred on a tuning. There's nothing wrong with that; it's just not for me. I'd rather spend it on a product like more speakers or subs or amps. Out of curiosity I'm going to look into this kind of thing more when we're able to get out and about. I'm still curious as to whether the shops around here have someone competent enough to do this kind of thing.

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
I'm glad I'm happy with throwing an amp to front speakers with an 80 Hz high pass and an amp to the sub with 80 Hz low pass and calling it a day. I couldn't see myself spending several hundred on a tuning. There's nothing wrong with that; it's just not for me. I'd rather spend it on a product like more speakers or subs or amps. Out of curiosity I'm going to look into this kind of thing more when we're able to get out and about. I'm still curious as to whether the shops around here have someone competent enough to do this kind of thing.
The problem is that the $300 spent on gear wouldn't even come close to the improvement in sound that you would get from a decent tune (assuming there is already half way decent equipment, a dsp and a halfway decent install)...

·
Registered
317 Posts
The problem is that the $300 spent on gear wouldn't even come close to the improvement in sound that you would get from a decent tune (assuming there is already half way decent equipment, a dsp and a halfway decent install)...
The thing is, I've heard demo cars when Crutchfield used to have events there...cars from Kenwood, Polk, etc...that sounded just incredible. This was mid to late 90s, before DSP. These cars were just using multiple drivers, multiple amps, electronic crossovers, and EQs. I guess you could say the car was tuned by the EQ but it was still done without DSP.

·
Premium Member
4,709 Posts
I'm still curious as to whether the shops around here have someone competent enough to do this kind of thing.
Depends on where "around here" is.
Some places "around here" would be >$300 in fuel to get to.

Clearly if it seems like it is too much $ then just don't do it.

·
Registered
18,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
The thing is, I've heard demo cars when Crutchfield used to have events there...cars from Kenwood, Polk, etc...that sounded just incredible. This was mid to late 90s, before DSP. These cars were just using multiple drivers, multiple amps, electronic crossovers, and EQs. I guess you could say the car was tuned by the EQ but it was still done without DSP.
demo cars are usually nothing good believe it or not. Listen to a car that's purpose build for sound quality, or even a regular install with a proper DSP tune on it and i can promise that you will never be able to go without it

Reactions: Truthunter

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
This sounds great Nick. I'll have to chase up time zone differences. Can i do it in my pyjamas? Normally I sleep in the nude but winter is coming here 🤣🤣🤣

Seriously though:
  • i may miss the time window deadline as i am waiting for a WIFI controller and USB HEC module. I am in the wrong hemisphere for quick delivery at the moment
  • I have a MTK1 sitting at my installers and my install is complete with sound deadening : Sam's Challenger
  • and I have an I Nano and a topping DAC/USB to SPDIF converter. One will stay in the car and one will get used with my PC. I'd like to work out the best setup before tuning.
  • 8:30 am here is 7pm New York Time Would you consider a Friday night tuning session for you which would be sat morning here?
  • Oh and i'f I couldn't get myself sorted by 5/30 and I came begging would you consider it?
I absolutely have no problem with the cost even with the shit exchange rate at the moment. People should be payed for their expertise. Shit I pay for golf lessons. I've payed for running technique analysis. People who complain really dont get it.

Out of interest if we do an initial tune and i wanted to come back to you later what's your hourly rate?
Cheers
Sam

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
Without wanting to be overly antagonistic im not sure a post announcing to the world you'd rather spend the money on equipment is helpful at all.

·
Premium Member
4,709 Posts
Without wanting to be overly antagonistic im not sure a post announcing to the world you'd rather spend the money on equipment is helpful at all.
I think it might be worthwhile.
If those 90's demo vehicles were good, then were they coaxials? or what made them good?

Some of that could spills over into this millennium?

·
Registered
516 Posts
You're actually describing more or less 2/3 of what a DSP mainly does, namely EQ adjustment and crossover settings/tuning. Does it matter if it's done digitally on a screen, or by manually pushing analogue sliders and screwing on knobs?

Yes, I was also around the car audio scene in the same time period, been to every local car audio event and competition since about 1994 until the early 2000s. And even back then the top sounding SQ cars often had some sort of early gen DSP installed. Pioneer ODR, Sony Mobile ES and XES, Clarion HU with "black box" external DSPs, Rockford Fosgate Symmetry etc.

Point is, signal processing was used as much then as now, only difference is that's its now done in the digital domain, not the analogue.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
Where are you located? Assuming somewhere in Virginia if you used to go to Crutchfield events, if so, you should try to get out to one of the VA or NC meets (when we are allowed out of our houses again) and get some demos of cars with a DSP, might change your mind, might not and if you are happy with what you have, then that's what really counts. Even if you hate how every car with a DSP sounds, you'll still enjoy a day talking a bunch with like minded individuals.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Where are you located? Assuming somewhere in Virginia if you used to go to Crutchfield events, if so, you should try to get out to one of the VA or NC meets (when we are allowed out of our houses again) and get some demos of cars with a DSP, might change your mind, might not and if you are happy with what you have, then that's what really counts. Even if you hate how every car with a DSP sounds, you'll still enjoy a day talking a bunch with like minded individuals.
Yeah I think there was supposed to be something in NC that I was going to try to go to, but that event probably is canceled now.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Oooof I'm just waiting for my DSP to show up as the final piece of my system....I really hope it arrives before the 30th so I can take advantage of thissssssss

OP don't leave me in the dust! :)

(Yes I signed up just to say that!)

·
Registered
68 Posts
Ok im going to keep this quick and to the point. I used to offer remote tuning for those that didnt know how to tune and wanted to see a first hand look at a simple tuning process that actually works. I haven't offered it in a while now due to a few reasons. Mostly being busy and it not being worth the effort. I recently teased that i MAY be offering it again if we get too slow from this whole Covid thing, but thankfully we have had a constant stream of work so i was putting it off. That said, my inbox has been blowing up with requests for it, so i think i will do another short run of them. Here is the deal with it. This is MOSTLY so you can see first hand how to go through the process of tuning a car with a pretty easy to understand and basic method. It also obviously gets you a tune. This is better suited for those who are wanting to learn to tune on their own, but don't really know where to start and are feeling overwhelmed by it all. If you think this is going to be free or that it should be free, stop reading here and go play in off topic with the rest of the nut jobs on this site. There are requirements from your end if you want to do this. Do NOT message me if you do not meet all of these requirements. If you do and you don't meet all 7, I'm going to ignore you as I do not have time to waste.

1) you have GOOD internet where your car is parked
2) you have a laptop that isn't slow, and is ready to go with Room EQ Wizard and Teamviewer already downloaded on it. Both are free
3) you have a measurement microphone
4) you are competent enough to pause a track, play a track, and hold a microphone
5) you have a phone to call me on. If you arent in the US, you need to have FB messenger.
6) you have a DSP that isn't a buggy POS that will make me want to jam forks into my eyes
7) you have $300+ in your Paypal or venmo ready to go. $300 is the minimum, and goes up from there if you have rear speakers, want a 2 seat tune, etc etc..

and most importantly... DO NOT COME TO ME IF YOUR INSTALL IS NOT 100% READY! Doors not deadened yet? do not message me. "hey my install will be done in 2 weeks, can we do it then?".. don't do that. Gains not set yet? do not message me. "i have a minor problem with Xyz but its ok I'll figure it out after".. do not message me. Integrated into the OEM system but didnt do it properly ( i can verify that)... do not message me. I think you get it..

If you think that price is too much, tough. Learn on your own then. Its less than what i charge for a tune at the shop, which i think is only fair to you considering you arent getting my ears on it as well as verifying that the install is correct.

Another thing, i am only offering this in the mornings and evenings. by that i mean between 8am-11am, and 7pm-11pm eastern time. Dates from 5/12/2020 to 5/30/2020. Dont have those times/dates available? Then you guessed it.. don't message me. I do not have time for that and I'm already pretty fed up with this place as a whole to be quite frank, but I'm a glutton for punishment so here i am.

Lastly, i have done this with maybe about 40 people so far. I have only had one person say that the end result wasn't good. Guess what, turns out he had a crappy install with no deadening, doors that weren't sealed, and integrated into the oem system the wrong way. I guess that was my fault for not verifying, but what i am getting at is that this process works if you have your basics covered.
Would this Microphone work? "Dayton Audio UMM-6 USB Measurement Microphone" from www.parts-express.com!

If not could someone recommend one that wont break the bank? Thanks

·
Registered
18,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
21 - 40 of 78 Posts