DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I just installed my first sound system over the weekend. Aftermarket radio, front component speakers, an amp for the speakers, and an under seat powered subwoofer. When I turned my car on after the install, the radio turned on but the amp and sub did not. Here is what I have done so far:
  • Using a volt meter, I confirmed that the voltage across the amp terminals is the same as the voltage across the battery, but the voltage across the remote turn on lead and the ground terminal is essentially zero.
  • If I use a jumper wire between the remote turn on terminal and the positive terminal, the amp turns on.
  • I did a continuity test on the two ends of the remote turn on lead to confirm the wire did not get damaged as it was run through the vehicle.
Based on this, I think that the remote turn on lead on my new radio is faulty. Can someone with more experience verify that this conclusion makes sense? I will try to use a different source (cig lighter +12v wire) for the remote turn lead tonight. If this new source works, should I return / replace the radio? I'm worried that a bad remote turn on wire on the radio harness may indicate other problems with the radio that I have not encountered yet. Is this unlikely? I'm new to this, so any insight is appreciated.

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Does the amp turn on when you switch to the radio on the headunit? Could be a simple issue of not connecting the correct wire.

Killer job troubleshooting BTW. I personally wouldn't really care if my REM wire was fried on non-functional - I'd just tap off of another acc wire somewhere like you might do. I also doubt it's an indicator that something else would be wrong. But if returning/exchanging would be easy it's worth a go just in case you sell in the future.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
You need to confirm that you are,in fact,using the remote turn on wire from the aftermarket head unit.Some harnesses have a few blue wires that can mislead.One might be the power antenna wire.Just verify you have the right wire hooked up to the amps remote terminal.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Does the amp turn on when you switch to the radio on the headunit? Could be a simple issue of not connecting the correct wire.

Killer job troubleshooting BTW. I personally wouldn't really care if my REM wire was fried on non-functional - I'd just tap off of another acc wire somewhere like you might do. I also doubt it's an indicator that something else would be wrong. But if returning/exchanging would be easy it's worth a go just in case you sell in the future.
You need to confirm that you are,in fact,using the remote turn on wire from the aftermarket head unit.Some harnesses have a few blue wires that can mislead.One might be the power antenna wire.Just verify you have the right wire hooked up to the amps remote terminal.
Thank you both for your input! After some additional troubleshooting, I was able to confirm that the remote turn on output from my new radio was not working. I went ahead and connected my remote turn on leads to the +12V wire on the cig lighter in my dash and now both amps power up like they should. Crutchfield is sending me a replacement radio in the next few days, I figured it was better to be safe and do the swap now just in case.

I have been working a little bit each night, I hope to finally have the system up and running before the weekend! Thanks again.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts