DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I used some CLD in a way I probably shouldn't have (as a shim for the door card), and of course, on a hot day the pressure of the door card pushing on it caused some to ooze out all over the beautiful surround of my Exclusive 7" in the door. :(

I tried to use a piece of CLD to 'grab' onto the big sticky hunk latched on to it, but it seems like it somehow bonded to the surround already. I was able to get about 60-70% off, but thats it. So now about 2" of the surround basically have this goo stuck to it, and I can figure out how to get it off safely. It doesn't seem to affect the movement of the surround much, but I'm sure its having some sort of affect on the sound or movement of the cone as it is definitely stiffer then the rest of the surround.

So do I just have to live with this and maybe try to find a recone kit? Or is there something that can be done?

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
That won't eat away at the surround? I thought acetone dissolved plastics and rubber (and the glue holding down the surround)? If not I'm going to kick myself for not thinking of such a simple solution.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I would be extremely careful with any solvent on your surround, maybe try rubbing alcohol. Often your best bet with butyl is to get it a bit dirty and try to "roll" it off a little bit at a time with your thumb, it should come off in little balls. I've had good luck with this even on fabric.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the tips guys, I'll try out a TINY bit of rubbing alcohol and the dirty finger approach and see what happens.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts