DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well after multiple audio setups, my rear panels are really messed up. See for yourself.

anyways. id like to patch the holes etc, then repaint them or something?

Any Ideas??? And I did search!

·
Registered
393 Posts
ewwww, Fiberglass, Recover with new Vinyl, Go to your local junkyrad and get new ones, Or find an oem supplier and order new ones.

·
Registered
454 Posts
the biggest problem you will run into is the texture of the panels and matching it. If you want to do it on the cheap just use some bondo to fill the holes sand it all smooth and re-paint. The texture won't match though. You can use a textured finish paint and make sure all sides match. Or you can cover them in new material

·
Registered
75 Posts
Whatever you do, do NOT use bondo. Evercoat makes this great epoxy urethane plastic adhesive/bonder. It's called Maxim. However the stuff is black so you'd have to paint or cover your panels. Lookout it up. It works great if used properly

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Whatever you do, do NOT use bondo. Evercoat makes this great epoxy urethane plastic adhesive/bonder. It's called Maxim. However the stuff is black so you'd have to paint or cover your panels. Lookout it up. It works great if used properly
i will look into the evercoat! do u just fill the holes, sand it down, then repaint? sounds simple enough. maybe i should repaint all my interior pieces to match, except the dash.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
and why not use bondo?

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
how hard would it be to just cover them in black carpet?

·
Registered
962 Posts
how hard would it be to just cover them in black carpet?
Harder then you think....do you have trim screws that will match the carpet?

Honestly, your best bet is finding a wrecked car via ebay/craiglist.

A can of good adhesive will cost $15 alone...and evercoat I hear is expensive

·
Registered
75 Posts
Ya just sand it down with i believe about 80-100 grit. Clean very well. Theres more specific instructions on the back of the bottle.

I get the Maxim for about $12 dollars because i do a LOT of bodywork but i believe its a bit more pricey than that.

Bondo yes is called a plastic filler but it doesn't mean its for plastic. Never use bondo on a flexible surface. Bondo is flexible to an extent but will crack and break when pushed beyond it's limits. NEVER use it to fill holes either. That's worse than using it on a plastic surface. It is very weak when used to fill holes, even on sheet metal.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks guys. thing about junk yards here, are almost all them only carry car parts for cars 8 years and older...

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
If you can get your hands on another piece of the same type of plastic that you can afford to scrap, try this.....

take the scrap plastic and drill holes in it to create plastic shavings. mix the shavings with some acetone and it will turn it into almost a paste. it should look sorta like melted plastic. then take the acetone/plastic mixture and apply it to the holes and fill them in. it will harden and solidify as the acetone evaporates. then sand it and finish the whole panel with SEM texture coat in the appropriate color.

or if you have a good heat gun u can preheat the panel and apply the plastic shavings and melt them into the wholes as well. sand and finish.

good luck

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
What car is this ?
2003 ford ranger

If you can get your hands on another piece of the same type of plastic that you can afford to scrap, try this.....

take the scrap plastic and drill holes in it to create plastic shavings. mix the shavings with some acetone and it will turn it into almost a paste. it should look sorta like melted plastic. then take the acetone/plastic mixture and apply it to the holes and fill them in. it will harden and solidify as the acetone evaporates. then sand it and finish the whole panel with SEM texture coat in the appropriate color.

or if you have a good heat gun u can preheat the panel and apply the plastic shavings and melt them into the wholes as well. sand and finish.

good luck
good idea. i might try that. otherwise hopefully just buying new panels

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
What did the ford dealer quote you for the part?

I got a new set of a pillars for 15 bucks which I thought was a very fair price for my escape.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
What car is this ?
What did the ford dealer quote you for the part?

I got a new set of a pillars for 15 bucks which I thought was a very fair price for my escape.
havent tried them yet. last time i talked to the dealer for a part, it was way too much. but ill give them a call tomm. id rather just replace them with new. also need some of those push tabs too!

·
Registered
7,406 Posts
WTH would you pay stealership prices for something that CAN be found in a scrap yard?

do some leg work, save yourself some money and don't support them shady bitches.. (can ya tell how I like dealdeships?)

·
Registered
650 Posts
I think this is an easy fix,
1.) sand out the rough spots
2.) fill holes with epoxy
3.) sand again.
4.) Hit it with a few coats of SEM texture coat
5.) find a SEM Color Coat that matches

voila you have a new looking panel and go have yourself a beer

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
oh and a junkyard wanted me two pay $50 just for one f'n kick panel. But it may be cheaper to get parts where you are
Find them online for cheaper than that.

You're better off getting replacements.

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
But if I HAD to repair them I would fill the gaps with some plastic glue/epoxy.....sand down......texture coat and paint.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts