DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Had great success building a component set for my wife's BMW. Used HAT L3's and Boston neo type-m crossed over at 8kHz.

I like them so much I want to improve the front stage in my car.

I had used a set of Focal 136kx for 12 years until one of the tweeters died. Quickly replaced with a set of Addison Voce AV x6.5 since my focal component set was installed in a coaxial. Store recommended. Impulse.

After breaking in I can say the Voce's are good but not as good as my Focal set nor as good as my wife's HAT/Boston combo. The midbass was sweeter on the focal's even though on paper they don't hit as low. the midrange was better. The tweeter is a bit bright on the audition x6.5 and the passive crossover that came has no attenuators. My wife's L3/Boston combo sounded perfect new with no break in. Just a much warmer fuller sound in the mid and upper range. Much closer to quality of sound I like.

Without investing in a high end component set I was thinking of going back to my Focal drivers. Reuse the focal cross over units and add a tweeter.

The big question is which tweeter? Another set of Boston type-m? The HAT L1, L1pro, hertz/Addison 28mm? I don't have any idea of the crossover point on the focal 136kx units. The web isn't much help. My best guess is 3.5kHz at 12dB slope.

The HAT L1pro comfortably fits in that cross over point and so do the audison ML280 Even the Boston type M included crossover has 3kHz and 8kHz capability so 3.5kHz should pose an issue except the attenuation ability of the focal -3dB only. Liking the Boston at 8kHz may not mean I will like it at focal's 3.5kHz. The HAT L3 had the ability to play to 10kHz which made the 8kHz Boston's a perfect match.

Is mixing the Focal mids again a bad idea? I need to find a tweeter to cross ideally below the upper limit of the focal driver.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'd say replace the hole set mainly because problems have already started and the old age. As long as you have the cash and are replacing with a higher end set. . A huge sound quality diff between the $350 and $600 comp price

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
okay this is where it gets technical...I get lost with impedance

found a set of ML28 tweeters. the normal cross over point for the Hertz line of 28mm tweeters are 2.5kHz so the Focal Mistral Line I believe cross over between 3.0kHz-3.5kHz. so from a safety standpoint, these tweeters should be fine crossing over higher.

the big question is the cross over unit....

Focal tweeters are usually 6ohm and these Hertz tweeters are 4ohm.

what does that do? I assume they'll play louder relative to the woofer and will need how much -dB attenuation?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts