DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a existing subwoofer enclosure that I want to update the driver in.

Internally it measures 25" x 15" x 6" with a volume of 1.3 cu ft. The existing cutout is for an 8" driver and the enclosure is sealed and installed with the driver firing down.

What would you recommend for this enclosure?

My thoughts are:

- TC Sounds Epic 8" DVC Subwoofer
- Tang Band W8-740P 8" Subwoofer

Will these work in this sealed enclosure?

Paul

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
I don't know much about the 8s, but I am surprised how large this enclosure is. It's internal volume is too big for most 8 inch subwoofers, in the sense that power handling will be reduced considerably. If it's made from a solid material, with a larger hole it could work out fine for some shallow mount 12 inch subs.

·
Banned
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It does seem to be a large box for an 8" sub. Construction is 1/2" plywood and it , but I could enlarge the mounting hole for a 10" or even a 12".

I am more interested in SQ than SPL, and would like to keep the budget below $150.

Paul

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
I am not a sub box expert, but one rule of thumb is to use 3/4 inch or thicker MDF. For normal music playback at reasonable volume level, box wall flex probably shouldn't be a problem, but I don't see why you couldn't install a few internal braces if it becomes a problem. In terms of which speaker to use, I never heard or even seen it, but a lot people like the Polk MM series. There are 8, 10, and 12 inch versions. The mounting depth is under 5 inches.

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
I agree with Zakoh, the enclosure is entirely too large a for an 8" driver. Consider making one using MDF and significantly smaller dimensions or Infinite Baffle.

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
I see two options here:

1. Either adapt this enclosure to a 10 or 12 inch shallow subwoofer sealed box mode application or build a new box with thicker material for the same application.

2. Port your current box to be used with an 8 inch or larger driver. I think this is actually an interesting idea. There is a mile long thread on the advanced/technical forum about using the new generation 8 inch Alpine Type R subwoofers here:

http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/diyma-sq-forum-technical-advanced/100729-alpine-swr-823d-843d-8-subwoofers.html

There is a big interest in those subwoofers because they turned out to be quite nice. You can ask there about whether your box is usable for a ported Type-R sub. Porting it could be potentially be easy, by simply inserting an appropriate port tube into it. Big volume is not a problem because you can pad it with some kind of material (wooden bricks, etc) to reduce the volume if necessary. A ported 8 inch subwoofer could come close to sealed 10 or 12 in terms of output. Though, again, the box seems kind of large for a single 8. The first post mentions that these work great in 0.5 cube box tuned to 35Hz. This means that your box's volume should be good for two 8 inch type-r subs.

I think overall you're in great shape if you can fit such a large box in your vehicle. I'd probably try the Polk MM sub first, but there are many interesting possibilities.

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
I am with mmiller. chuck it and start over. with 1/2" plywood boxflex will be really bad, not to mention the resonance that will be created by wood that thin.

if you decide to keep it, go for a 10" or 12". 1.3 cuft is HUGE for just about any 8". you could just about fit (2) 8" in there.

DD1508, and the new ARC8 are good candidates.

·
Registered
75 Posts
my choices would be either a peirce audio 0.5k 8" with sum customization or any of the sweet as hell sundown 8" sub like the NS ZA or neos etc i may have the z one wrong but you get the point anyhoo both subdowns 8" and PAPs 8"
are sweet as hell clean and very bassy if need be and also loud enuf to cause a rukus

ren
xMplar

1 - 10 of 10 Posts