DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like some advice on finding a suitable replacement for my dynaudio mids (160gt), Frequency response: 55Hz - 3.5kHz. I really like the detail of the dyns, but they were a bit weak on midbass. I have been looking at the dayton rs, seas, and peerless drivers. I don't have xovers in my HU and no active xovers so i'll be stuck with using my passives for the mids which are designed for 4-ohm loads.

I need to find 6.5" mids cause I don't know if the 7" would work in my doors. I can go as deep as 3 inches. From what I've been reading on the forum, many love the seas excels but I couldn't find a 6.5" version on madisound.

Also would the frequency shift due to the new 8-ohm load present major problems in sound quality? I plan on going active in the future, but I'm not there yet.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
15 Posts
if you need a 4ohm driver thats 6.5" instead of 7" and was considering the excel, then my suggestion would be the lotus, which is basically an excel redesigned for car audio. go to www.mobilesq.com for some good prices on the lotus stuff.

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
Thats my same situation mane. I have the 240gt comp set in my truck now. Looking to upgrade to a 7" driver and have a hardon for the Dayton RS mid driver. It will need to run active for sure cause the Dyn xover unit will not be compatible on a 8ohm load driver.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
AzGrower said:
Just came across this today on the Solen.ca website. Try this link:

www.solen.ca/dynequiv.htm
I appreciate all the help. I think I'm gonna try the Seas G18. From what I hear it will fit with a proper baffle. If that doesn't work out then I'll try some 4-ohm automotive drivers like the Seas Ref or Perf mids.

I have noticed one of my mids sounds a bit incoherent on lower bass/midbass notes. It's not very noticeable when the whole system is playing, but when I isolate the mid I definitely notice some sloppyness. Is this common for a mid to do this? I'm just glad I didn't pay retail for the dyns, or I would be pissed off. I really don't abuse my system because I want it to last a long time.

My Butler TDB2150 really makes the dyns sing. Despite the dyns being old-school technology, they still sound very natural. Once I get the DIY mids I'll have something to compare them to. But man dyns are wayyy expensive. But for $300 I'd get a set anyday of the week.

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
runmeshaw said:
But man dyns are wayyy expensive. But for $300 I'd get a set anyday of the week.
I was in the same boat as you...was offered a deal I couldnt pass up...

·
Registered
290 Posts
how would the Seas BASIC CA15RLY compare with the MW160GT ? i'm assuming the clarity would be better however the midbass would be equal or less than the MW160GT

·
Registered
578 Posts
AzGrower said:
Thats my same situation mane. I have the 240gt comp set in my truck now. Looking to upgrade to a 7" driver and have a hardon for the Dayton RS mid driver
My friend Leo has the 7" RS in his doors... it is one of those speakers that sound so good, it makes you add words in between words...

For example...
When I first heard them & I thought they were "a-freaking-mazing"
One look at the price & I thought "un-freaking-believable"

The one downfall is that you need a tweeter that can play low & having to remove the shield to fit.

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
mk1982 said:
wow, how does the 7" RS compare with Seas CA18RNX ?
On a few test threads I have read, the Dayton has smoother freq curve and costs 1/2 the price. I think it also has slightly better lower response. But the real kicker here is its 1/2 the price! :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts