DIYMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
It seems that one of my CTX65CS mids may be water damaged and there's quite a bit of distortion so i'm looking to replace them.

My doors already have full sound treatment (butyl & MLV). When installing door treatments i did notice some water getting in the drivers door so i built somewhat of a canopy over the speaker with the butyl mat to divert any water away from the speaker. I guess it finally failed or never worked to begin with. I will try a set of these with the new speakers.

My current setup:
2005 reg cab Sierra​
AVH-X2700BS running active​
CTX65CS (1 blown mid)​
Precision Power PPI P900.5​
4 ohms: 70 watts x 4 chan. + 270 watts x 1 chan.
2 ohms: 115 watts x 4 chan. + 440 watts x 1 chan.
Bridged, 4 ohms: 230 watts x 2 chan. + 440 watts x 1 chan.
SD-3 12 D4 sub​
I've been eyeing CDT's refurbished ES-06 and ES-6.2. Thinking about grabbing these and keeping the tweeters from the CTX65CS and some tweeters. Any other suggestions? I'd like to keep the total around or under $200 $300-400, not afraid to buy used.​

· Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Take a look at the Volvo-spec Dynaudio drivers. I got a set a few weeks ago and I've been blown away by the quality sound for not much money. Their 3" voice coils make for great power handling.

They are roughly equivalent to the Esotec MW160/162GT woofers.

I got mine from @Petererc in the Classifieds.
Thanks for the tip but he's out of them at the moment. I decided to up my budget to $300-400 and replace the tweeters as well. the CTX65CS' always seemed a bit bright to me, hopefully i can find something i'll like.

· Premium Member
3,520 Posts
Thanks for the tip but he's out of them at the moment. I decided to up my budget to $300-400 and replace the tweeters as well. the CTX65CS' always seemed a bit bright to me, hopefully i can find something i'll like.
I have a stash of several brands and models of component speakers I need to get rid of. If you are interested send me a pm. I can send a list and pricing etc.

Reactions: elwood
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.