DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of replacing the speakers in my dashboard, with Boston Acoustics S35 speakers. I opened the speakers grill and did the measurements and its a lot smaller than the S35. But I think I can do some modifications to fit them in there and find a way to secure them. My question is, should I stick with the S35 or just any good quality tweeter? I really don't want to keep the stock dash speakers, they sound awful.

Also I'm planning to have a component for the front and Coaxial speakers for the rear.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

·
Registered
86 Posts
my wife has a 2012 optima as well hers is an ex though. You have the 8 speaker infinity system in yours dont you? Most everyone thinks pretty highly of that system for stock. My wifes is junk though i willl say that. I am unsure if the front 3.5's or 3's on the dash are wired with the door speakers. Are there really stock headunits running 3 sets of speakers any other way?

·
Registered
205 Posts
in my 2012 optima with the infinity the dash speakers are a 3.5" mid with 1/2" tweeter. each is individually wired from the amp. makes for a pain in hooking up aftermarket speakers. this is the same on the door speakers with a 6" mid and 1/2" tweeter both individually wired to the amp.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Thats the premium though, I dont believe my wifes has any amps running the speakers besides the HU. You can max the volume out and its still not really very loud. Its more than what i want to listen to, but my wife is half deaf i think and its not loud enough lol. I think i've said it before that the 3.5's in the front are barely audible. Honestly i havent even pulled the grill to see if they exist. When i try to pop that grill im afraid im going to break something and I will never hear the end of that

·
Registered
86 Posts
i took my wifes door panel off today to check things out. The factory speaker is actually sealed pretty well with a foam gasket behind and foam in front facing the door panel. There is a large plastic piece covering the big whole in the door that looks to be easily removed for some dampening of the outer skin. When i do this i will most likely put some ccf in as well. At this point im unsure about adding mlv to her car though unless i use 1/2lb stuff. It doesnt look as though its going to be easy to do on the inner skin because of the inner filled with wiring and uneven surfaces.

I must say the little black piece behind the mirror on the door skin is a pain in the arse. I broke 2 plastic pieces off with barely any pressure. Use caution and start at the window side of it. Try to pull it strait off ass far as you can by hand. There are 2 clip type pieces on the bottom of it towards the firewall.

The rest of the door panel came off nicely and only had the 2 screws that are easily found.

Just thought id share since there seems to be a few optima owners here

1 - 10 of 10 Posts