DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

21 - 40 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I apologize if what I said wasn't easily understood. Let me try to say it a different way.
If you want to get more low end bass then you need the output below 40Hz to be close to the same as the output at/above 40Hz. Ported boxes are great for increasing output above the tuning frequency, but below the tuning frequency the output falls off a cliff. So with a tuning frequency up at 36Hz you lose a crapton of really low frequency output. You can change the tuning frequency by modifying the port length (longer=lower). To tune at 36Hz a 4" round port would be 21" long ... to tune at 28Hz the same 4" round port would be 36" long
Now I'm picking up what ur dropping lol. The current port is 3x3 square hole 12" long on one side of the box.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Obviously to get that out of the message, you will need to read the code of Hammurabi from a different side.

His advice was pretty sound, but if you are looking for an excuse for getting new gear, then just do that.
Not necessary wanting to replace it all, just wanting quality sound.

·
Premium Member
4,755 Posts
You could try plugging the slot, but likely a new box is likely was you need.

I like passive radiators because it is easy to retune it later to a different port frequency.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Holy crap ... that is way too small (3x3 square), you will definitely hear the air moving through the port as the bass hits (60m/s). And at 12" length the tuning frequency is actually 39Hz.
If there is some way you can make the port 3x5 and 43" long it should sound about 100 times better (that would bring the tuning down to 28Hz and drop the air velocity in half).
The port doesn't have to be inside the box if that helps /shrug

FYI, sealing the box will absolutely crush the output ... these subs were very much designed for ported boxes.

·
Premium Member
4,755 Posts
Sealing and adding a passive.:cool:

·
Registered
2010 Silverado CC
208 Posts
Do passives have to vertical? If it can be down facing that could work.

If you post a pic of your box, might help. To change that port you'd have to do some surgery on the box... not impossible, probably won't be pretty but it's likely doable.

Or you could sell the box and put those funds towards a custom built box

·
Premium Member
4,755 Posts
There will not be much weight needed at the tuning freq it is at now. ;)

Even if the box gets cavemaned, the main option are only to sell it or use it as a path to enlightenment.

Or sell it and get a custom box.

Reactions: Caustic

·
Registered
2010 Silverado CC
208 Posts
I'm a fan of cavemanning things 🤣🤣 but it's a fox box, they're respectable and could fetch a hundred bucks being unaltered

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
I have the tools & skills to either add to that box or start from scratch & build a box just not the skills to know what the box needs lol.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
And like I say, I need to replace the sub anyway to get one that'll pull 1000 watts so if there's a sub iut there that would be a better fit then suggestions are welcomed.
My local audio shop gave me a quote to install a fox box with 2 - dd Audio 10's & says it'll be right but I want to make sure before I go either direction.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Well, my point earlier on was that you can significantly increase your output using the same 700W ... if you are determined to push your amp to the limit then I would recommend sealing up that box and putting a pair of 2 ohm 10" subs into it that are designed to work optimally in .55 cuft and handle 500W RMS each. The Sundown Audio SD-4 dual 4ohm would work.

·
Premium Member
4,755 Posts
Well, my point earlier on was that you can significantly increase your output using the same 700W ... if you are determined to push your amp to the limit then I would recommend sealing up that box and putting a pair of 2 ohm 10" subs into it that are designed to work optimally in .55 cuft and handle 500W RMS each. The Sundown Audio SD-4 dual 4ohm would work.
And can you contrast that with your thoughts on using all the same (current) amp and speaker, and just tuning it to a lower port tuning?
(For completeness.)

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
No not wanting to push it just thought I need the wattage, but that's why I'm here cause I'm a plumber & don't know if I do or don't need more lol.

·
Registered
2010 Silverado CC
208 Posts
The proper tuned box > than the 300w of extra juice. You'll notice a bigger difference with a better box over throwing the extra 300w at that sub

21 - 40 of 78 Posts