DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I joined this forum to express my dislike for the cda-9887. After almost two years of torturing myself with this noise plagued deck I am considering upgrading/downgrading to a more classic car audio sounding head unit.

On my affair with the cda-9887 I have installed a 5 channel, class-D amplifier with quality wiring and a solid ground. I also stuck in a pair of 6.5" JL C5 Comps at knee height in the doors, tweets on the dash at the windshield.

A well engineered acoustic environment, my car could benefit from door panel restoration, but the imprint staging at the expense of distortion isn't my idea of SQ.

I am looking for a nice sounding head unit, something without much processing which can accept an ipod through AUX and play burnt CDs with quality EQ. Good SQ, & preamp is key

I was thinking something along the lines of the nak cd500 or cd400, something without much noise that has a nice x-over & EQ. I think I could care less about time alignment.

My system: cda-9887 w/ imprint
6.5" JL C5's comps (doors/dash)
6.5" Alpine type-S comps (rear doors)
12" JL w6v2 sealed (hatchback)
(*Considering using a Morel Isobaric dual 9" sub in place of the 12w6)
Powered by a JL HD900/5 (100x4 & 500x1 @ 1-4 ohm)

I would love to have a Panasonic bottlehead or a nak cd700ii, but I'm trying not to cross $450 and the deck has to mate well with the JL class-d amp.

Thanks for reading and any advice.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
I have been wondering this myself. I wonder if going with a much cleaner older deck vs one of the newer decks with processing especially T/A has any benefit. I loved some of the older eclipse decks and see them come up for sale, but dont want to lose T/A of my newer deck even thought it isnt as good sounding. Sound vs. processing is really the question.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am stumped, as I researched the nakamichi cd500 and found it does not feature an E/Q or x-over. Does any have any comparison knowlege between the cda-9887 and the eclipse cd-7100?

I wonder if the Panasonic Bottlehead has T/A? does it even support 2-way front/rear/sub?

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Considering what I have read about the nak cd700ii and the Panasonic Bottlehead CQ-TX5500W, I find myself wondering how well either of those would mate up with my class-D amplifier.

The lack of E/Q with the nak cd500 also leads me to wonder how it would sound simply paired with my amp without any external processing or E/Q.

Any experience?

·
Registered
615 Posts
Unplug the Imprint, spend a little time with TA and EQ, make yourself happy again.

Whoo hoo!

I run a 9887. No noise at all...

·
Registered
390 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I run a 9887. No noise at all...
I guess you have to know what to listen for, it is more or less the compression of the ipod and even some newer store bought cds.

I listen to a lot of electronic music and hip hop, so I am plagued by a constantly noisy source. Some DJ even seem to mix their albums at a lower master volume than other genres, maybe something to do with their mixing equipment.

When I had an XM satellite receiver over AUX I always felt the line level was a bit low compared to other receivers and it caused a fair deal of distortion when I would attempt to level the source so it wouldn't nail my ear drums if I mistakenly changed sources.

I have noticed other HU in the past allowed you to adjust the vol independently for each source.

I have a laundry list of qualms with the 9887, but it has served me well enough over the past couple years, I guess I am just seeking better SQ.

The 9887 also doesn't seem all that high end and the new Pioneer DEX-P99RS seems like over kill for me as I do not have a dedicated mid-bass 3-way setup.

I am starting to lean towards either the:
Nakamichi CD 700II
CLARION DRZ9255, DRZ 9255 CD
Eclipse 7200mkii or 7200
Eclipse 7100 or similar vintage dead head

1 - 7 of 7 Posts