DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i drive a ford ranger ext cab and want to save as much space as possible in the cab, but dont wanna use a shallow mount sub. I was thinking of the DIYMA 12? and revearse mounting it to a shallow box? is it that simple, build a box to the specs of the sub, and just mount it revearse and get the same sound?

Im thinking of building a box that is bout 4" D 14"H 48" L, that will cover the entire back wall of the truck, mount the sub revearse and call it good?

i read the DIYMA has 1000rms power rating, will my 500rms be enough to push it? Also, im going for SQ....

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
500 wrms is 3 db less output (theoretically) [its plenty]

remember that if you invert mount it, you have to take into consideration the cone displacement.

·
Registered
160 Posts
On other drivers, not the diyma 12; people have reported being able
to hear the mechanical noise of the motor working on inverted installs.
Particularly when you are close to the woofer in the cabin of a vehicle.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Yes, it really is that simple. Research other threads and you'll see that many people are happy with it off little power. I have mine in .85cuft off ~400w, plenty for a Honda Fit.

I think either NPDang or Technobug was running it in a .6-ish box. I know Technobug has it mounted w/the frame out off his LRX. Depends on how much of a basshead you are though.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well the box i designed is gonna be barely over 1 cf, but im thinking of filling in some dead space with wood or something. i just want the the box to cover the entire back wall of my truck. heres my design.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
On other drivers, not the diyma 12; people have reported being able
to hear the mechanical noise of the motor working on inverted installs.
Particularly when you are close to the woofer in the cabin of a vehicle.
im deff not a audiophyle and doubt ill hear anything. so i think im in the clear. now im gotta order the sub

·
Registered
633 Posts
Ive reverse mounted my JVC Arsenal, Brahma, and a few others and never head any mechanical noises on it. But that does NOT mean it doesn't happen with some subs!

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ok everyone, i got a question....i didnt relize the DIYMA is only a SVC 4ohm, and for my amp to put out enough power, i need it to be at 2 ohms. im running a kicker zx700.5 so i got about 250rms watts at 4ohms, and bout 450 at 2 ohms??? im thinking of going with a IDQ12V2??? the IDQ can be IB also right?

So Which one?

IDQ12V2 or DIYMA

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
BUMP

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
ok everyone, i got a question....i didnt relize the DIYMA is only a SVC 4ohm, and for my amp to put out enough power, i need it to be at 2 ohms. im running a kicker zx700.5 so i got about 250rms watts at 4ohms, and bout 450 at 2 ohms??? im thinking of going with a IDQ12V2??? the IDQ can be IB also right?

So Which one?

IDQ12V2 or DIYMA
If you need more 4 ohm power get a bigger amp.....on 250 watts that might not be enough juice to drive the DIYMA.

Or consider another sub like the IDQ which can be driven on 250 no problem and get fairly loud......and be used IB.

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
GRab an IDQ12D4v.2 and you can run your amp at 2 ohms and get MAX power out of it.

450 watts is PERFECT for that sub in a ported box.

Port that box and you'll have a sweet setup.;)

MAtt or Eric over at the ID forum can give you enclosure plans for your truck.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
can someone post me some pics of the IDQ at different angles. i cant seem to find pics of what the magnet looks like and basket. going IB, i want it to b a sexy looking sub.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
GRab an IDQ12D4v.2 and you can run your amp at 2 ohms and get MAX power out of it.

450 watts is PERFECT for that sub in a ported box.

Port that box and you'll have a sweet setup.;)

MAtt or Eric over at the ID forum can give you enclosure plans for your truck.
the only problem with that is, idk if i have enough room for the 2cf of box needed to run it ported. im trying to keep it nice and tight fitting.

·
DIYMA Founder
4,757 Posts
How much power you need depends mostly on one thing.... how LOUD do you plan on listening to the sub?

Looking at the picture above of your install... I'd say don't worry about power. SPL generally falls off at 6db every doubling of distance... whereas running a 4 ohm sub you only lose 3db (half the power). Given that your sub is going to be about 2-4x closer to you than in a typical car... you're really gaining quite a bit of output, not to mention smaller cabins such as a truck have significant low end gain to boot.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
How much power you need depends mostly on one thing.... how LOUD do you plan on listening to the sub?

Looking at the picture above of your install... I'd say don't worry about power. SPL generally falls off at 6db every doubling of distance... whereas running a 4 ohm sub you only lose 3db (half the power). Given that your sub is going to be about 2-4x closer to you than in a typical car... you're really gaining quite a bit of output, not to mention smaller cabins such as a truck have significant low end gain to boot.

i loved the sound of my JBL GTO, but still took up to much space. the DIYMA is such a sexy sub mounted Inverted and since i can have my 5" depth for a box, im gonna go with that. And i plan on upgrading amps someday, so the power i have now will work fine until then.

·
I'm baaaack!!
4,397 Posts
I run my DIYMA R12's inverted in .86 ft^3 sealed boxes and love them there.

Also, the 4X14X48 dimensions you listed will give you a 1.56 ft^3 box, and not the "just over 1 ft^3" that you were thinking. Just wanted to make sure you knew.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Also, the 4X14X48 dimensions you listed will give you a 1.56 ft^3 box, and not the "just over 1 ft^3" that you were thinking. Just wanted to make sure you knew.
****, i must of entered the wrong numbers or something. ill probably just seal off some space inside the box to take the cf down.

if i seal it off at 39"L ill be at .98 cf which should be perfect or close.

·
Registered
973 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

how much power are ea of urs getting?

·
Registered
726 Posts
With that much space available, you could port it.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts