DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
18,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bohlender Graebener Neo10 Planar Transducer is up.

Klif's notes: Very non-linear frequency response. Odd things in the unit-to-unit consistency with regards to the distortion. I know people have used them and liked them... I don't see it. Maybe there's a legit use for them that I'm just not aware of like line arrays (as the marketing indicates). Either way, I can't recommend them for 'standard' speaker applications based on what I'm seeing here.

Bohlender Graebener Neo10 Planar Transducer

·
Registered
3,400 Posts
Danny Richie at GR Research is trying to have a large batch of these made by B&G specifically for him with some slight mods and better specs plus much better unit-to-unit consistency.

Not sure if he'll succeed, but he says they are truly amazing when they are built "right". Not sure if its just a bunch of "hot air" as he sells speaker kits that use these (hype-ing them up), or if they are legit.

I will say that I did like the modified Neo3 and Neo8 that I've used, but the speaker design must be specifically tailored to take advantage of their unique properties.

Thanks for posting all of these tests, dude! (y)

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Yes mine are there old ones from gr which is said to be much better quality. In gr speakers they sound amazing, at least the old ones did. I've never built my set have all the speakers but due to Dannys recommended Canadian speaker builder never built the box or returned the crossovers. Many of us got ripped off processed through gr too! He never helped get our money back from his friend. Still pissed about that, still have a box full of speakers i don't think i will ever build

·
18,432 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
FWIW, in another forum a fellow commented on my analysis that "measurements aren't everything". I don't disagree. I've never said they do. But they can tell you a lot about a speaker/driver and help you understand what it is you're buying.

The basis for his blanketed comment was another speaker called The Echelon, the best one he's ever heard, uses this driver. So I did some research.

"Crossover points are at 325hz and 2100hz. The woofer to midrange acoustic slopes are approximately 15db/octave, halfway between second and third order. The midrange to tweeter acoustic slopes are approximately 24db/octave."

Turns out, my suggested crossover range (derived from just looking at the measurements) was nearly dead-on to what the builder used. So, sure, I agree that measurements don't always tell the entire story. But I'll be darned if my analysis of measurements didn't turn out to be nearly spot on what one fellow calls "the best speaker I've ever heard" uses. I guess measurements aren't that useless after all.

·
Registered
4,370 Posts
I'll talk to Danny about it.

dcfis, I'll keep the offer in mind. I've already got a backlog of drivers offered to me that I want to test but we will see. :)
I would love to try a set of the 10s down the road when after everyone has tried them.

I had the neo8 and the pdr . I wasn’t super thrilled about the dispersion at the time, had a hard time with good imaging and mounting them properly in a car , but I’ve come along way since than, I do remember they had superb vocals tho.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts