DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

41 - 60 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
8,524 Posts
Congratz on your new ScanSpeak sub, not so good for JL Audio since i heard and had the idea they were the best sq subs out there but after reading all this, you got me thinking twice. lol.....

I do have a few question that i hope you can answer:

1) A good quality subwoofer that only needs 175w Rms feed can play lower notes/more quality bass inside a vehicle than another sub that requires 250w Rms?

2) which of the two would be louder though?

3) How can you take freq. response into account and bring it into the mix with the previous questions to get the best quality bass in a sealed box that does not disturb the neighbors but instead fills your car ?
JL makes many different subs. From entry level to high end.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Congratz on your new ScanSpeak sub, not so good for JL Audio since i heard and had the idea they were the best sq subs out there but after reading all this, you got me thinking twice. lol.....

1) A good quality subwoofer that only needs 175w Rms feed can play lower notes/more quality bass inside a vehicle than another sub that requires 250w Rms?

2) which of the two would be louder though?

3) How can you take freq. response into account and bring it into the mix with the previous questions to get the best quality bass in a sealed box that does not disturb the neighbors but instead fills your car ?
just to reiterate, the JL sub that I replaced is a very good sub. it plays loud, clean and with authority. it can play in ported or sealed enclosures. the problem i had with it is that in the recommended box volume the F3 was too high for my tastes, approximately 43 Hz. i did not realize this when i purchased the sub and designed my box.

for your needs you should look at various subs that are efficient / sensitive as well as have the right F3 and Qtc for your enclosure volume. there are online calculators that will help with this.
do you want to play low frequencies or are you happy with a powerful slam box? it's your call.

·
Registered
867 Posts
update 10/12/12

after running this sub for a month the thing is still breaking in. just this past week i noticed it was louder and more apparent than it has been on bass heavy music. i actually had to back off on my deck's subwoofer level control by 3db in order to balance it out.
it continues to be a very smooth musical SQ sub that can really play and sustain the dramatic low notes and frequencies. the sub can still rock though- it can deliver a mean punch when called for and still blend with the rest of the system. in all fairness though the time alignment is probably a big help with this aspect. no regrets and i'd buy it again in an instant.
it doesnt sound like i have a 'sub' in my car. instead it adds a really nice warmth to the music.
i've heard that comment about a few subs. I'm starting to wonder if its the subs or a matter of having it set up properly?

From a amateur/novice point of view, i was looking at parts-express the other day (from the UK .. drooling over the prices) and i came to the conclusion or the thought; why am i buying car audio brands for my car audio, when other ... brands seem to be a good/better choice on paper? I was looking at this Peerless XLS10 sub, looking at the T/S parameters, nothing else comes close for the price. Am i mad?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/120998895859?ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1436.l2649

ScanSpeak, Peerless, Dayton, Vifa even the likes of Tang Band don't seem to be bad choices.

When i took my Hybrid audio I6SW sub out for a test on some unsuspecting people, one question i got was; is it a home audio sub? Although the guy still thought i had a 12" sub in the back!

·
Registered
480 Posts
I have the 10" version, has seen just a few hours of play time and so far I'm really impressed. I have it in .68 sealed and stuffed with some loose fiberfill.

It plays the lowest of notes with authority and gets plenty loud off a modest (250w) amount of power. The remainder of my planned upgrades will be in the build log section starting this week, I'll post more feedback there.

·
Registered
2,777 Posts

It seems like one rule of thumb in subwoofer design is that subwoofers with high sensitivity have low power handling. I have been playing with this subwoofer in WinISD, and I would say, a good amount of power to run to it is 250-300watts. The reason is because in a 1.5 cu ft sealed box, the 12mm xmax excursion is exceeded with about 250watts. The predicted sensitivity is actually very good (e.g. with 250watts of power it could be about as loud as another sub I was modeling with 400watts of power). The downside is that it won't handle much power past that. xmax is exceeded past 250watts, and will probably bottom out on the right low end content at 400-600watts of power.

Now other subwoofers with lower sensitivity _could_ actually get louder if sufficient power is provided. After all, this subwoofer has 12mm xmax. A lot of 12 inch subwoofers have 17-20mm. I think in real life it won't matter a lot IMO.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
update 10/22/2012.

today i was noticing the sub went up another notch in SQ, the "hits" are becoming noticeably cleaner and firmer- the thing is still breaking in after almost 6 weeks. totally impressed.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
at the time of the review ~ 90 hours. i listen at least 13 to 16 hours a week.

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
Bought one of these a few weeks ago. Tried it in a 1,5ft³ sealed enclosure first, but I decided on a vented enclosure instead. 1,8ft³ tuned at 32Hz, enormous low end, had to pull down 25-35Hz roughly 12dB with EQ. No "subsonic" highpass filter applied. I have nothing to complain about, it's pretty similar to my old Peerless XXLS. Great build quality as well. I recommend this driver in any SQ build. I can post measured T/S parameters and a FR sweep/HD graph later this week if someone's interested.

·
Premium Member
6,214 Posts
I can post measured T/S parameters and a FR sweep/HD graph later this week if someone's interested.
Off course we are :D

Kelvin

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Bought one of these a few weeks ago. Tried it in a 1,5ft³ sealed enclosure first, but I decided on a vented enclosure instead. 1,8ft³ tuned at 32Hz, enormous low end, had to pull down 25-35Hz roughly 12dB with EQ. No "subsonic" highpass filter applied. I have nothing to complain about, it's pretty similar to my old Peerless XXLS. Great build quality as well. I recommend this driver in any SQ build. I can post measured T/S parameters and a FR sweep/HD graph later this week if someone's interested.
awesome! you went for ported before it even started to break in! post your results when you get a chance, i'm definitely interested.

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
awesome! you went for ported before it even started to break in! post your results when you get a chance, i'm definitely interested.
Nah, it's broken in. Pink noise for 72h ;)

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy 3 via Tapatalk.

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
I actually bought another one, got it on a sale with a 40% discount. I'm gonna do a little experiment. I'm measuring T/S data with DATS before break-in, after 1h, 12h, 24h, 48h. See what changes and how long it takes to the parameters to stabilize. Hoping to get a little bit more understand of the break-in period. If it affects non linear distortion for example. I will run IMD/HD/FR sweeps this weekend. I'll compare it to another high end sub and see how it performs.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
I actually bought another one, got it on a sale with a 40% discount. I'm gonna do a little experiment. I'm measuring T/S data with DATS before break-in, after 1h, 12h, 24h, 48h. See what changes and how long it takes to the parameters to stabilize. Hoping to get a little bit more understand of the break-in period. If it affects non linear distortion for example. I will run IMD/HD/FR sweeps this weekend. I'll compare it to another high end sub and see how it performs.
Cool, sounds like a neat experiment. I am curious of your findings. I will be tuning in.

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
Alright... It's still playing noise for another day or so but I don't think it matters really. Kind of surprised over the results. It seems like the drivers T/S parameters stabilizes at with a Fs of 20.86Hz after just 2 hours or so. If it doesn't decrease in the coming day I presume that break-in period does not last longer than that. Qts decreases slightly over time but it's far to 0.31 which SS specd. The lower VAS/higher Fs/higher Q indicates that the driver is stiffer than it's supposed to. Guess I give it some more time...

Here's a report from DATS:

Right out of the box:

After one hour:

After 24 hours:

Compare this to Scan-Speaks own specs:

http://www.scan-speak.dk/datasheet/pdf/30w-4558t00.pdf

Fs: 17Hz (Measured: 20.86Hz / Difference (%): +22,7)
Qts: 0,32 (Measured: 0,421 / Difference (%): +31,5)
VAS: 197lit (Measured: 132,3 / Difference (%): -49,2)
Qms: 5,01 (Measured: 5,8 / Difference (%): +15,6)
Qes: 0,34 (Measured: 0,454 / Difference (%): +33,5)
Re: 2,6ohm (Measured: 2,54 / Difference (%): -2,7)

I will perform further tests once I conclude that the drivers break-in period is done.

Oh btw... the ambient temperature was pretty constant. Room temperature that is...

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
Alright... It's still playing noise for another day or so but I don't think it matters really. Kind of surprised over the results. It seems like the drivers T/S parameters stabilizes at with a Fs of 20.86Hz after just 2 hours or so. If it doesn't decrease in the coming day I presume that break-in period does not last longer than that. Qts decreases slightly over time but it's far to 0.31 which SS specd. The lower VAS/higher Fs/higher Q indicates that the driver is stiffer than it's supposed to. Guess I give it some more time...

Here's a report from DATS:

Right out of the box:

After one hour:

After 24 hours:

Compare this to Scan-Speaks own specs:

http://www.scan-speak.dk/datasheet/pdf/30w-4558t00.pdf

Fs: 17Hz (Measured: 20.86Hz / Difference (%): +22,7)
Qts: 0,32 (Measured: 0,421 / Difference (%): +31,5)
VAS: 197lit (Measured: 132,3 / Difference (%): -49,2)
Qms: 5,01 (Measured: 5,8 / Difference (%): +15,6)
Qes: 0,34 (Measured: 0,454 / Difference (%): +33,5)
Re: 2,6ohm (Measured: 2,54 / Difference (%): -2,7)

I will perform further tests once I conclude that the drivers break-in period is done.

Oh btw... the ambient temperature was pretty constant. Room temperature that is...
thanks for the info and testing. after running this one in my car for ~ 90 hours I can attest to the fact that it sounds different and better since it was first installed- your testing (if accurate) shows what we might expect- the the sub is stiffer out of the box vs. published specs- and that the published specs might have been recorded / measured after significant break in.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
70 hours+ now. No change in Fs, still 20.86Hz, but Q continually decreases. Qts at 0.37 now and Vas at 151lit. So I'm keeping it on noise for another day and see if it changes further.
Very interesting...

41 - 60 of 89 Posts