DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks,

This is a review of Don Amann and Unexpected Creations. I wasn't really sure which section to put this in although I suppose it could be considered a prelude to an install log. Regardless, I've done all the Itrader stuff but this seems like a slightly different circumstances where I was not purchasing a used item from another member but buying something new from someone who runs a business but is also active on this forum. Seeing as how this is a business, I figured it only fair to evaluate the product that this business provides.

From the very first PM Don was very prompt, direct and professional. Shortly after that we were on the phone discussing products, system ideas and alternatives to those ideas. Don was always very friendly, knowledgeable and professional. Although Don is direct and opinionated, he has always been honest and I never felt as if Don was trying to make a quick buck off of me. Similarly, he was very patient with me and always made time to answer any questions that I had. This literally went on for weeks while I made my decisions and Don never lost composure and always made more time for me including a couple of 1AM calls.

For comparison sake, most audio shops (home and car) can barely make the time for me at all. It almost always feels like a quick sell and whoever gets me out of store fastest with a head unit purchase gets a free toaster and a lap dance.

This is really at the center of why I chose to write this product review. The product that Don provides is in my opinion, 2nd to none. If there were a Porsche or Ferrari of customer service, it would be "Unexpected Creations".

I ended up going with a full Esotar 2 setup as well as a "black" TRU Tech Super Billet 8. As opposed to going with the Esotar 650 mid bass, I decided to go with the Esotec 182 or 172. Don arranged to have Dynaudio send a dummy driver to me for measurement purposes (who does that?) and I ultimately went with the 182s.

A few weeks later, Don listed a few TRU demo amps in the classified section. I decided to buy the 2200 and 4100 from him and have them sent back to TRU to have the cases black anodized to match the Billet 8 as well as upgraded op amps. I'm not sure if I should say this, but I later found out that Don had TRU do custom white LEDs for all of the amps as well has having both amps upgraded to "S" cards and Stage III as a thank you for my business.

Honestly, I feel honored to have had the opportunity to do business with Don as well as consider him a friend. I appreciate his honesty and directness but above all else his business integrity. Honestly, I'm not sure how or if I can repay him beyond extending my strongest recommendation towards him and continuing to do business with him in the future.

Thanks again Don!

and now some pics :)

Speakers:

·
Registered
573 Posts
Don never fails to Impress with his product knowledge , attention to detail and great follow through.
You are in very capable hands.

·
"Authentic to the Music"
1,941 Posts
Man I'm so Jealous right now of those TRU Billets, man those are just beautiful.

That's going to be an amazing sounding system.

Congrats on some amazing products sir!!!

So what is the Head and Processor to match the above beauties?

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the compliments. I must admit that I'm pretty excited right now :D

As for the source I'm dealing with a difficult OEM situaion. Basically there is no physical space in the dash of the car and I'm working with GM's "CAN-BUS" so I will be using a Bit One for the time being. If I need to at a later date, I can add a Wadia/Ipod source for high res playback.

If there were a way to get a good raw signal I'd probably use a professional piece.

·
Administrator
17,746 Posts
Wow, thank you so much my friend. I was excited to see the pics, but your kind words are overwhelming in flattery.

Now, get to work ! :D

·
Administrator
17,746 Posts

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
+1

Don is everything you said and more. His knowledge and helpfulness is second to none....and he is fun to talk to as well!!!

You have an amazing setup there that you will be very happy with. Install properly and you will be in sonic bliss!!!

·
Administrator
17,746 Posts
+1

Don is everything you said and more. His knowledge and helpfulness is second to none....and he is fun to talk to as well!!!

You have an amazing setup there that you will be very happy with. Install properly and you will be in sonic bliss!!!
Thanks Jerry, and I owe you a call !

·
Registered
149 Posts
Congrats on your new toys, please keep us posted with the installs.

Ditto x 100 about Don @ Unexpected Creations. I've recently had the pleasure of doing business with Don. He spent countless hours with me demoing, educating, and patiently babysitting my indecisiveness for a relatively small sale comparatively. He took time away from his family to make sure I left there with a decision I would not second guess, and keep me happy. He earned a new customer that night in every way.

Great guy. He is truly a professional without peer.

...now, we just need to send him some nicotine patches to help him kick the cigarettes. lol ;)

·
Registered
539 Posts
Damn............................that is just soooooo sexy right there.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Less time with audio stuff, more time watering your houseplants :laugh:

Did that big amp come in the rifle case? :surprised:

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Less time with audio stuff, more time watering your houseplants :laugh:
Man, that thing is such a lost cause. I have had that thing in 3 houses now and no matter where I put it, how much light, water, etc. it's just hopeless. It now serves two purposes. 1. A constant reminder of the fragility of life. 2. A diffuser for left main speaker in my home rig :D

Did that big amp come in the rifle case? :surprised:
Yes indeed.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
Oh that's right...I saw the "ficus in each corner" posted in another thread. It's such a good idea...and cool looking...and cheap...etc :laugh:

I love that foam packing job...way better than the Styrofoam that gets everywhere.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Oh that's right...I saw the "ficus in each corner" posted in another thread. It's such a good idea...and cool looking...and cheap...etc :laugh:
At the old house I actually had a couple of palms back there. It's arguable if it actually did anything, seeing as how tall the trunks of those pants were. It did look good though. I gave the palms away when I moved because they had grown to almost 17' tall and wouldn't fit in the new place.

The Ficus in the original picture didn't do well in that room either (probably due to the light).

TRU amps are sexy! so they throw in a free watch when you buy DYN eh?
I like the pic with the watch in it because with the construction of those 430s it's hard to tell you're looking at such a small driver.

1 - 20 of 85 Posts