DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I have recently been redoing the sound system in my car with all audison/hertz equipment. I have an audison lrx5.1k amp and am not sure what to do with the sub. I already have a brand new rockford fosgate t112d4 (older chrome cone type) and it would run perfectly at 2ohms to use the full power of the sub channel on the lrx. Im considering going for a hertz ml3000 as i have found one cheap but it will only run in 4ohms and i dont really want or need a pair or subs, its purely for sq not spl, i would just like it all to match. What do people recommend? Also for this install would a hertz hx3000 be a good idea? Pretty similar to the rf sub but its hertz, dual 4ohm and same rated rms. I am only asking about the ml3000 as i have an offer on one otherwise i would probably not spend that much.
Thank you for any help, eddy
Btw the rest of the equipment is hertz hsk130 rear and hsk163 3way fronts and an alpine h700 processor

·
Premium Member
6,214 Posts
IMO, the T2 @ 2 ohm will put out enough bass for your system. Unless you go dual, I wouldn't change a thing...
I know you're building an SQ system but the T2 is really not a bad subwoofer.

Kelvin

·
Registered
699 Posts
Having heard a ML and the RF. I dont think sq wise the RF has a chance in hell. The ML is reeediculously clean, smooth however you want to put it. The RF just felt like it wanted to be an spl sub. I currently have the HX3000, wanted the ML but wasnt instock and I "settled" for the HX. For the price difference and stock it was worth just getting the HX. Either the ML or HX will please you tho, just choose which is better for your budget.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
The ml is in my budget at the moment with the offer i have been given its just that it will only be 4ohms not 2 so i would be losing almost 400watts. Rf are known for spl but i have the t1 12 and 15s and they are very good sound quality, very tight and punchy and go amazingly low and its almost impossible to make them distort even though they are aparently only 600rms. I think my question is basically will the ml3000 be much better with than the rf with it having less power. Thanks

·
Premium Member
6,214 Posts
The ml is in my budget at the moment with the offer i have been given its just that it will only be 4ohms not 2 so i would be losing almost 400watts. Rf are known for spl but i have the t1 12 and 15s and they are very good sq subs, very tight and ounchy and go amazingly low and its almost impossible to make them distort even though they are aparently only 600rms. I think my question is basically will the ml3000 be much better with than the rf with it having less power. Thanks
Much better? No.
Better? Perhaps but you're the only one that will be able to tell. Having less power available = less SPL equates to easier integration with the front stage...
^ easy to understand ;)

But you'll have more fun with the RF and if you can't make them distort, then why change...

One more thing, SQ for subs is more a function of enclosure and tuning - working with a low distortion driver sure helps but is not the end-be-all.

Again, my 0.02c,
Kelvin

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks. Thats what i thought. Its more about the box or boot/trunk. I am going to build the boxes myself (one vented and one sealed) so i can try them out. Will probably be fine with the sealed for sq as i have enough amp power from the audison. The only thing i am worried about really is the ohms of the ml, even though i want sq i do like it loud. Thank you all for your help

·
Premium Member
6,214 Posts
Thanks. Thats what i thought. Its more about the box or boot/trunk. I am going to build the boxes myself (one vented and one sealed) so i can try them out. Will probably be fine with the sealed for sq as i have enough amp power from the audison. The only thing i am worried about really is the ohms of the ml, even though i want sq i do like it loud. Thank you all for your help
Just wondering, do you have an EQ for the 20Hz-80Hz range? An EQ that can cut fres, not boost ;)
How much space do you have available for the ported enclosure?

Kelvin

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have a bmw e39 which has a pretty huge boot and i have an alpine h700 processor, think it has a 10 band sub eq. Why? So i can port then cut any boomy or exagerated freqs?

·
Registered
345 Posts
I had HX300 and the Mille3000
The HX300 sound better to me (1.6 cu ft ported box on Arc 1000.1) sound very nice
The ML3000 sound very heavy and deeper

1 - 9 of 9 Posts