DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I've been a hardcore Rockford fanboy since the late 80's/early 90's, and while I've been using tons of other brands besides RF over the past ~15-20 years, I still lean on their sub amps. Partially due to nostalgia and partially due to my own track-record with them (started with an old “Pre-HD” Punch150, then POWER300, then POWER1000 MOSFET, and kept going from there - Always loved them).

However, I see ARC has some pretty serious offerings with their KC2500.1 which is an Analog switching G design vs the b/d on the Rockford T2500-1bdcp. I’d never heard of ARC before I joined up here a few months ago – but they certainly have my attention with these new amps! ARC’s uber-high-end "SE" amps are a also sight to behold!

I also see that the well-respected designer Robert Zeff came up with the KS2500.1 design - and it is a “Modern” 2012 design (the bdcp's are from 2010 IIRC).

What’s the general consensus on the ARC KC2500.1 vs the T2500-1bdcp? Feature-sets are practically identical and street pricing is neck-and-neck. The ARC seems to be a bit more efficient (210Amps for 2600 Watts), and the ARC seems like a better design from my initial impressions.

The amp will be driving a trio of W12GTI’s @ 1Ohm in a ported enclosure in a 2013 4Runner. Obviously looking for some low-end SQ, and also love to have some serious SPL to back it up (I do like it LOUD and clean when called for!).

Thanks – and Rock On! :cool:

·
Registered
4,292 Posts
The arc's lower msrp makes it a winner in my book.
Owned a few KS amps and never had any issues. They are well built workhorses and noise free to boot.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So far you guys are swaying me towards the KS2500.1 - And that is what I was actually hoping for :)

Any more persuasion - specifically between the KS2500.1 and the T2500-1bdcp in my specific application?

The one small caveat I'm looking at: I don't plan on going crazy with a 300Amp Alternator (might get the stock one re-wound, but it's 130Amps stock IIRC), but I will run the largest AGM battery I can fit up front (odyssey or kinetik). I don't plan on "dime-ing" either of the two amps (would smoke the subs if I did ;) ). Knowing this, does the bdcp's "Constant Power" function sway anyone's opinions? If anything, I'd figure the bdcp will end up pulling much more current if I do push it hard as the voltage might sag. Where the ARC would simply put out a bit less power w/o exasserbating the amperage draw issue (I'm actually fine with that - should still have headroom if I'm lucky).

I had a RF T20001bd @ 1.5 Ohms and a serious front-stage (JL 450/4) in my '99 Tacoma on a puny 90-Amp factory alternator and a single Odyssey battery up front - never had any battery issues if that gives you an idea of my listening habits for comparison's sake. I only had to replace that stock alternator once in 12 years!

Thanks for the feedback - Keep it coming and persuade me to go with ARC!!! :D

·
Registered
20 Posts
The KS2500.1 is super efficient too.
A little plain or understated to look at, but on the other hand, easy to customize.
Also very easy to strap to another if you want even more power..

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
LOLZ! I'm hoping I'll have all of the headroom I could ever need with a single KS2500.1 - much less TWO of them :eek: !!!

I do love my SPL, but hopefully the single 2500Watt monster will make me a very happy man. The only amp I own that has equivalent power is the 120VAC Crest CA12 I run in my PA System (1400Watts x2 @ 2 Ohms on four JBL 2241G subs in custom enclosures).

:cool:

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
I think constant power means fully regulated.
Rockford always has played with words.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The bdcp is regulated for sure - but it also rides the +/- rails dynamically relative to speaker load (dynamically relative to frequency) to get a "constant power" output (with a lower Z the rails will be pulled down some, with a higher Z the rails are brought up some to end up with constant power). Like the JL Slash series does, too, but the JL's regulate over a slightly broader range of impedance loads.

A more standard/basic regulated power supply will keep the rails at a constant voltage which helps against B+ input voltage sag, but will not dynamically adjust the rails as the speaker load changes.

I generally prefer unregulated amps on subs (and less NFB), and while I don't believe the ARC class G can truly be unregulated by the topology's nature, at least it's not riding the rails with speaker load.

I also own a 1500.1bdcp, and I liked the older "non constant power" T20001bd better - even at 1.5 Oms where both amps were roughly equal in output power.

Regardless - the ARC is really looking good. I see WoofersEtc sells them for $889 shipped. The T2500-1bdcp goes for around $850. Neck and neck, but the ARC is floating my boat for the time being...

I'm going to poke around locally and see if anyone carries them in the same price-range, or might have an install with one to audition.

Thanks again for all of the valuable input! Rock on! :cool:

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
update - I made my decision - The ARC KS2500.1 is on its way to me via Woofersetc ($799 shipped!). It will be a little while until everything is installed, but I'll report back with my impression. :cool:

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Don't forget the pics :D
Still waiting for the 4Runner to arrive @ the dealer, but here's a pic of the ever-growing "stash" :D

(4) W12GTi's (two boxed); PHA-H800; INA-W910; RUX-C800 (all boxed)
JL 450/4; JL 300/2; ARC KS2500.1 (still in the plastic!)
Stinger 1/0 OFC Amp Kit + Distribution Block; PAC Steering wheel and Video Bypass adapters; Scosche Radio Mounting Kit

Waiting on: Alpine Rear-View Camera & License Plate mount; Digital Cable for W910
Front Stage (Morel Integra Ovation XO 4" Point Source & Morel ADMW 9's) - plus some sort of 6.5" rear door speakers.

I'm getting pumped!!! However, my wallet is getting DRAINED!!! :D ( :( ) :D

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
A few pics!
Alpine H800 DSP ; ARC KS2500.1
JL 300/2 ; JL 450/4

3x W12GTi's - Sealed - 1.3 cu ft each. 1 Ohm net load for the full rated 2848 Watts from the KS2500.1!!! :eek:

So far, so good. I've only auditioned the KS2500.1 for less than an hour earlier today - but I can already tell you it has some pretty big balls! While I can't compare directly to the Rockford BDCP series (still own the 1500.1BDCP, but I don't plan on A/B'ing), I can say I like ARC Audio thus far, and have no regrets on my KS2500.1 purchase. It does seem pretty efficient (as ARC promised)...

Back to work! :cool:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts