DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
the single inline cap is not for xover purposes, its for protection from any pops or other extreme distortions.

·
Registered
415 Posts
yes, it is still a first order xover, but youre not using it for that purpose. Youre using it for protection. keep it at least an octave below your active xover point and youll be fine.

You wont hear the difference.

·
Registered
415 Posts
GMo said:
Seems kind of pointless to use one unless you need it for a purpose. I wouldn't want to create a new point of possible noise induction or signal loss at a point unless it's necessary.
A lot of times I see people crossing their ribbons low, so they use it as you're saying in a complex crossover with multiple attenuation slopes. For example if the pass band of the ribbon isn't attenuated enough to compensate for the Fs, and a bump in response is present, you might want to use a cap to flatten that peak.
Its is being used for a purpose, for protection.

So youve tried this and can hear the difference (inside a car)?

·
Registered
415 Posts
GMo said:
I've never used a ribbon in a car. Although I've used capacitors in design and heard other ribbon systems utilizing capacitors to help with response problems, which have produced definite audible differences.
yea..but things are a little different inside the car....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts