DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering using either some LCY or Fountek ribbons in my next system. From my research, I get the impression that ribbons need to be aimed at the listener-i.e. the driver. If this is done, does it not kill the imaging for the passenger ? Also, can the ribbons be aimed like conventional tweeters in a crossfire manner and still sound and image well ?

Thanks,
J

·
DIYMA Founder
4,757 Posts
Ribbons have excellent horizontal dispersion, even up to 60+ degrees off axis. They are far superior to regular dome tweeters.

However, being a line source ribbons have numerous advantages but also what could be considered a disadvantage of limited vertical dispersion. The driver should ideally be aimed vertically at the listening position. Shorter horn loaded ribbons such as the LCY's don't really have a problem with vertical dispersion, and are every bit as good as a conventional tweeter in that aspect.

Also, it should be said that the longer the ribbon, the worse off the vertical dispersion will be... and by that I mean the frequency at which the driver begins to beam will be lower. However, that frequency is also the cutoff for where you get only -3db per doubling of distance instead of the usual -6db... meaning that longer ribbons have much higher sensitivity and dynamics than shorter ribbons.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So the LCY Horn Loaded ribbons would be aimed similar to conventional domes ?

I want to make sure that BOTH the driver and the passenger would have great imaging.

J

·
Registered
63 Posts
I'm not sure if you would be interested but I have a brand new pr of PRO Fountek ribbon drivers that you might find interesting. I have pm'd npdang and asked if he would do a review on them, they have a 102db sensitivity and can be crossed very low for ribbon drivers, 12 db @ 1.5k I'm selling them for 400pr with caps. they are NIB.
http://www.fountek.net/neopro5i.htm

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
your killing me that these are just sitting there so CHEAAAPPP!!!!

oh well my a pillars are almost done and im tired of sanding lol so no more changes

tested my pair out and while they were sitting on the dash pointed at each person (rimshot was testing with me)

we both were able to hear the midrange lifted equidistant on each side (if that makes sense)

anyway the horizontal dipersion fo these things is great , and the sound is truly to die for

and that was only after 10 minutes

·
Registered
402 Posts
So what would happen if you put a 100w per channel TRU Copper Tube Amp on 102db efficiency ribbons?????

Tom

·
Registered
63 Posts
probably the same thing that would happen with the Xtant 200 ix I was about to put on them. I bought those speakers as part of a system where as I was trying to match the dynamics of an IMAX theater with the resolution of Apogee Quads. I had 2 peerless XLS 8's ( which I've already sold) that I was going to use for midbass and ATC dome mids or Seas W15 to cover the midrange. A baby changed all that though

·
Registered
415 Posts
TomT said:
So what would happen if you put a 100w per channel TRU Copper Tube Amp on 102db efficiency ribbons?????

Tom
Youd probably get 50+ watts at 8-ohms with ultra smooth upper mids and highs and ultra highs with very very good dynamics!

I put 150 Tube Driver Blue watts at 8-ohms to my LCY's..not really much of a difference for the tweeter - besides having to turn the gain down a little...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.