DIYMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

richard clark amplifier test on cd

4K views 29 replies 9 participants last post by  donkeypunch22 
#1 ·
I had posted this in a different thread but thought it may be more appropriate to start a thread just for this

I have one of the cd's RC put out in 02 with recordings of 3 different amps level matched to within 1/4 db playing with no clipping, 3db, 6, 12, 18, then 24. It was a home "audiophile" tube amp, a Jl Audio and a Jensen. you cannot hear a difference between the amps (even when you can hear clipping at the 12 db mark they still sound the same) untill you reach 24db clipping value and then it is the tube amp that just gives out ( that is like a 100watt amp trying to reproduce a signal of a 25,600 watt amp AND at that level you deserve to have your speakers blow up) If anyone is really interested in this test cd I would be willing to send you a copy of it with the transcript. I would just ask for shipping and handling. P.S if I am stepping on anyones toes by offering this cd please let me know and I will remove the offer. It will REALLY have you rethink what you are hearing when you are switching out amps and calling one better then another

#2 ·
isn't that copyrighted?

#5 ·
Just because it was FREE doesn't mean it's free to distribute...

Perhaps I'm just splitting hairs...

#6 ·
well unless there is a copyright or terms of use printed on the CD or case itself I see no problem with redistributing it freely, especially since it is not sold, it is freely being given out, no profits made

Attempting to resell it could run you into problems

#7 · (Edited)
no, it is an absolute blank cd. It was never packaged for sale. The only thing I am asking for is the cost to ship it, thats it. I did not purchase this, it was sent out as a pass it forward. I had forgotten about it as I have been out of car stereo for a very long time and just recently became interested again. I want to be very clear about this I do not want to, nor will I, make a single penny off of this. Listen to the cd and come to your own conclusion's.

#8 ·
would you be able to send it overseas as well if i offer to pay for the shipping etc - im in south africa and i would love to have a copy of this cos in a local forum there are many guys who argue this point - in fact im flamed like hell and guys who are in the local equipment sales industry send me hate e-mails each time i talk about Richard Clarks tests - heres one way to make them all shut up and show them all up for the con artists they are

if possible id love to have two copies of this disc in case a single copy gets damaged or overused - i will lock one up for usage in extreme circumstances :p

#12 ·
How about ripping the CD in a lossless format and uploading it somewhere. that would be better for everyone.

#17 ·
Tags for amplifier test in whoeveriam - Photobucket

lets see if this works. this is the original documentation that came with the cd. If someone is willing to assist me to transfer it to lossless audio where it can be accessed I will give it a go. Also if it is not legal to do so would someone be kind enough to let me know.
in terms of that i reckon your best bet would be to drop autosound 2000 an e-mail to find out about the legalities of such a procedure

about the sharing of the file online - i suppose it depends on how large the Wav file is - and if its any smaller when converted to AAC for example - if its legal then im sure rapidshare or some form of peer to peer method of sharing can be probably employed or maybe even bittorrent

thanks for those transcripts - it certainly is intriguing - im sure listening to those cd's would really be an eye opener for many people

#18 ·
I could help in the upload process. However, shipping that CD to my country would entail a lot of customs duties and shipping would kill my wallet.

#22 ·
Sorry sir, should make the things clear in the first place. As said earlier, DIYMA is a special forum that well known to the world. So you will come accross overseas members joining and trying to learn something.
If your CD don't cause any legal issues, so by putting it online and let others to share is the best way. And for a piece of CD can be hard and can be brittle, depends to how the disc handled.
Maybe you can try the below uploading websites :
megaupload.com(do have some limitations)
easy-share.com
badongo.com
mediafire.com

#25 · (Edited)
this is the link to upload the cd where Richard Clark is testing 3 amplifiers a JL Audio, a Jensen (run off of a GM alternator and battery) and a 120V tube amplifier the amplifiers are level matched to withn 1/4db of eachother...
MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service
the link for the original paper work is earlier in this thread on post 16

#26 ·
#29 ·
thanks very much for the download - will write that to a cd and see how it works but im sure many people are going to find this very interesting - i certainly did cos now you can hear some practical results toward all the technical stuff thats always talked about - it also bears out on my own observations even though ive never been able to match gains etc - but it tells me one thing ie guys that claim to hear vast differences when the amps are level matched have a very active imagination ;) ;)

sure when you listen to the actual amps during the test there may be some minute differences - i acknowledge that - but would those small differences be able to account for huge price variations is arguable in the very least - once you add the factors of the differing noise floors or build quality or longevity - then most of the more expensive amps would begin to win but in terms of sound quality i think the cd makes things clearer as to how close to each other most amps would sound

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.