DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I figured that title would get some views.

Last week I found a link on here about a bicycle powerd car stereo.

I believe it was set up by Richard Clark, to help teach charging systems and electrical components.

I would love to read over it again, and sticky if for future use. But i can't find it anywhere.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Yea, that was a demonstration piece he and David Navone made for one of their Autosound 2000 seminars. The focus of the demonstration was to prove that adding a larger battery actually burdened the charging system, leaving less alternator current for the stereo system. They wanted to prove that the proper way to approach selecting a battery for the car was to install one just large enough to start the car, since once the car was running all of the sound system current came from the alternator and not the battery. A lot of people back then, including experienced sound-off competitors, were replacing their stock batteries with large multi-battery systems. They wanted to prove once and for all that this thinking was wrong-headed.

The articles have not been published publicly on the Internet. You can, however, buy the Autosound 2000 newsletter in digital form and enjoy the article about the seminar that mentioned the "exercise bike".

I was a subscriber of the newsletter and I can say without reservation that I learned more in reading the first six editions than I did in more than 15 years of hands-on installing. The newsletter ran for around four or five years. If you don't have the entire collection, I recommend it highly.

--david

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
David you rock man. I've been messing around on google for 2 days trying to find that.

Thanks again for the info. Looks like I have some more money to spend.

·
Registered
6,851 Posts
They wanted to prove that the proper way to approach selecting a battery for the car was to install one just large enough to start the car, since once the car was running all of the sound system current came from the alternator and not the battery.
Which is easy to demonstrate not to be true... :D

The battery is an important component to the car's electrical system. All the threads we've gotten in here over the years about the symptoms you see when the battery is failing or had poor connections demonstrate that fact.

But I'm curious who the target of their article was? The SPL crowd was/is pretty notorious for multi-battery systems, but I don't remember it catching on among anyone else. In fact, deep cycle batteries became popular as 2nd batteries specifically with the intent of running your system with the car off. So who are Clark and Navone directing this to?

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
On a relative tangent, I build bikes from scratch every now and then when I have the free time and the "itch" and I have been daydreaming about building a stretched ratrod lowrider bike with a stealth stereo. I thought about a line array of Aura cougars either in the back of the forks angled up towards your head or put them in a set of spaced up drag bars. Fiberglass a small enclosure on the backbone where a gas tank is on a motorcycle for a cheap partsexpress 5" woofer and power it all with one of those tiny 4 channel motorcycle mini-amps with a direct input to an ipod or something. Charging system would be a small lawnmower battery with a motorcycle alternator overdriven 5:1 off the rear wheel so it would charge when you were moving even at a slow pace. It would be pretty sweet to cruise around on at car shows..

·
Registered
393 Posts
Which is easy to demonstrate not to be true... :D

The battery is an important component to the car's electrical system. All the threads we've gotten in here over the years about the symptoms you see when the battery is failing or had poor connections demonstrate that fact.

But I'm curious who the target of their article was? The SPL crowd was/is pretty notorious for multi-battery systems, but I don't remember it catching on among anyone else. In fact, deep cycle batteries became popular as 2nd batteries specifically with the intent of running your system with the car off. So who are Clark and Navone directing this to?
I believe the target audience was the one who believed that adding extra batteries was better for audio performance output, which is seemingly not true.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Well, the reality is the SPL vehicles are a different application compared with the typical SQ application. The reason is due to the electrical current consumption needed to power the system amplifiers, and also because of the nature of the audio signals used in SPL competitions. It's not unusual for SPL vehicles to have more than 4,000 watts of amplification, that when used for high-level signals that are almost continuous in nature (though for a short period), calls for more short-term electrical current than is available from the car's alternator. Sso an alternative energy source is needed, which is why the large battery banks are needed. That's not to say they're not a burden on the car's engine, because they most certainly are. The more batteries, the greater the load.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts