DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to glean as much info on the EMIT tweeters characteristics as possible to help me get the best out of them as possible.

Yesterday I removed my door cards, behind which are midbass playing upto 900k...

Which the horns then take over from. At the moment I have tweeters in the A pillars like so -

REmoving the door cards (which were just punched through with a hot iron through the original fabric) has made a huge difference to the midbass and upper midrange, now everything comes from dead centre. So I'll be building some transparent grills for the doors next..

Now, who (If anyone) has experience with the EMIT tweeters? They are currently off axis facing each other half way up the A pillars.. I have a few options for placement - If I lean forward the top end opens up a little bit, so I think that the EMITS may sound better on axis, so should I rebuild the A pillars with them slightly more on axis, or should I mount them lower, in the corners next to the horn mouth, just below the airvent in the picture above, again hidden behind grills????? Would dropping them affect stage height drastically? (One reason I want to do this is to 'hide them' so you can't see any of the drivers) Has anyone put tweeters down next to horns? Or even 'in' horns? _ I'm tempted to cut a hole in the horn body, above the compression driver and have the EMIT firing into the horn, directly opposite the compression driver - Never seen this done before, looking for experience/guidance??

Cheers for reading, there's nothing more I can do re placement of the sub (Velodyne 10 in footwell,) midbass (18sound studio drivers in doors,) or horns (ID large bodies with B&C DE250 drivers,) so the only tweaking I can do is with the tweeters - what would you do??

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
who makes your midbass driver

·
Premium Member
11,394 Posts
I'd run the horns up to 8-10k hertz and bring the tweeters in after that. Those tweeters should have really wide dispersion how they are mounted now.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'd run the horns up to 8-10k hertz and bring the tweeters in after that. Those tweeters should have really wide dispersion how they are mounted now.
That's exactly where the horns are crossed atm :)

The tweeters have a reasonably wide dispersion, but they just seem more 'transparent and open' when I move my head forward a bit - how do these tweeters really like to be positioned? I've always heard that EMIT's prefer to be on axis - I have a Modulas subsat system at home and they really sing when on axis..

Anyone with experience?

·
Premium Member
11,394 Posts
They probably have like a 130-150 degree dispersion pattern on the narrow side, probably 20-30 degrees on the long side. As long as they are about ear height they should be fine on that axis. Now I would rotate them so that each one would be pointing towards the middle of the back glass of the car (might have to play with it some in car). But that would get you in the dispersion path of both tweeters.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I just went out and with the car audio installers favourite tool (Blutac!) I tried the nearside tweet on axis and played the Emma track 3 where he enters the room and then goes stage left... Before he was on the pillar and the stage on this side was compressed, when he walked from left centre to far left, he moved about 5 inches and stayed inside the pillar --- now eyes closed he's a foot outside the car. The tweets are now reflecting off the side window instead of the windscreen and that's pushed the soundstage out with a barge pole :)

Wow, think I'll be building some more pillars then!!

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Glad we could get you good!
I just found some Porsche 914 A pillar trims in the USA too so I can crack on and get them made - So you guys have been very helpful!!

Now - should I do the interior in Alcantara - does it make a valuable sonic difference??

·
Registered
810 Posts
those tweeters rock... loved them back in the day & sucks all of infinity newer tweeters are several steps down compared to the old emits.

I have two sets of the old kappa 8.2vII's, a pair of kappa video's & a set of kappa 5.1vII's. What a bargain in home audio..... I looked for the longest time trying to find a set of emit's for the, finally gave up.

Zero help on where to put them... looks like you have it worked out anyways :)

·
Premium Member
11,394 Posts
Sonic difference? Nah. But it sure does look nice.

I just found some Porsche 914 A pillar trims in the USA too so I can crack on and get them made - So you guys have been very helpful!!

Now - should I do the interior in Alcantara - does it make a valuable sonic difference??

1 - 11 of 11 Posts