DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Listener of Music
2,919 Posts
20,000 children die each and every day of starvation, but only the celebrities get a RIP mention.
That's because 99% of us haven't been affected by 99% of those other children in any way.

Start your own thread about them and I'll speak of that travesty. Keep this about the tragedy at hand.

·
Registered
3,387 Posts
Many years ago I used to live in the Steeplechase and then Stone Creek housing communities in Calabasas that look out onto that hillside where the helicopter crashed. My GF and other friends and I have mountain-biked, jogged, and walked on that exact trail where the helicoptor crashed many times taking our dogs for runs/walks, etc.

From our back yards we could see that entire hillside, except where it dipped low into the canyon. It is just off of the 101 Ventura Freeway (which runs North/South) at the Lost Hills Road exit which is the next exit North from Malibu Canyon Rd/Las Virgines Canyon that takes you to Malibu beach.

Traveling North on the 101 Freeway from the sprawling San Fernando Valley, there is a ~1500ft pass over rolling hills and huge California oaks. It will typically be clear in the SFV, while it is common to have early morning low fog in the canyons just North over that pass which are the main hills or low mountain range that separate Calabasas and points North from the SFV.

Most small aircraft pilots will fly above/along the 101 Freeway en route to destinations North or South, especially when there is typical coastal fog as there was that day. If Kobe's helicopter had flown along the coast from Laguna/Newport Beach, there would have been a heavier marine layer and they would have had to climb significantly in altitude to traverse the much higher Santa Monica coastal mountain range to get over to their destination in Thousand Oaks, which would have taken quite a bit more time.

There are a lot of CEOs and celebrities in the area that have their own aircraft, and it was normal to see small aircraft above the freeway route, but usually much higher. You would normally only see Sheriff and Fire helicopters in the immediate area flying lower on training runs, and their main helipad is just up the road from the crash location.

When I lived there, there were also a few crazy acrobatic or stunt pilots that practiced in their bi-planes at least twice per month just a bit deeper in Malibu Canyon between the housing complexes near the 101 Freeway and Malibu Creek State Park.

They did some crazy manouvers, but were usually around 1,500-3,000 feet high. We could watch them from our front & back yards, and I always hoped that there would never be any accidents because they were absolutely NUTS! But they ONLY FLEW when there were no winds and when it was crystal clear.

There is a fire station and sheriff station within a mile from the crash location, but obviously in this circumstance, there was nothing or no one to rescue. :(

Again it is very typical to have thick early moring fog throughout Malibu Canyon and the adjacent canyons. You would need to be very competent in "flying by instruments" and use GPS in addition to knowing the area and route well.

I could easily imagine that the pilot may have gotten disoriented in the fog and possibly tried to drop below it for better visibility. Because from his flight path, he was EXTREMLY low in the canyon, especially since it is less than a mile South where he would had to have been At Least 2,000 feet in altitude to clear the pass! That is a very short forward distance at speed to drop more than 1,500+ feet!

Some eyewitnesses that were walking their dogs reported that they saw the helicopter fly overhead VERY low, and the engine was extremely loud, but then moments later when you would still expect to hear the helicopter loudly, there was a very short engine sputter and then just dead silence for quite a while until they finally heard the explosion from the crash. I'm no expert, but to me, that indicates engine failure.

IMO, I agree that it was just a bad call to fly in that area AND at that particular time. An hour or so later and the fog usually would have burned off and been a non-issue. :(

I was also on Martha's Vineyard the day after JFK Jr's plane had crashed off the coast. ...Another accident that I believe could have been avoided.

In the Kobe incident, it's just extremely sad that his daughter and other passengers died as well. :(

I had worked with Kobe on several Nike shoots over the years and he was always super friendly and up for just about anything you wanted to do. The last time I saw him was on a Nike "Kobe XI" TV commercial & still shoot in the beginning of November 2015 just after he announced his retirement. He seemed to be "over it" at that point, though.

We actually had a full regulation basketball court brought in and assembled inside a large, empty airplane hangar in Orange County for this 1 day shoot. The production cost for this shoot was nuts. We had one set-up/pre-light day, and then we were scheduled to actually shoot with Kobe the next day.

There was a 7am call time for the shoot day. However, after waiting over 6 hours and having lunch with no Kobe in sight, we finally got word that he had decided that "he just doesn't feel like showing up for the shoot", haha. But through some coaxing by his manager, he finally showed up, but not until after ~3pm. We only had a total of about 20 minutes with him to get all of our shots before he decided to say, "Okay, I'm good", shook all of our hands, said "Thanks", and bailed.

Yeah, he was a celebrity and "baller" so he could obviously get away with just about anything even though he was still under contract with Nike and obligated to do the shoot.

Anyway. It's just absolutely crazy to think that he's gone, and for it to have happened right near where I used to gaze upon that hillside from my backyard and walk/ride on that trail with my GF, friends, & dogs. :( I've always had great memories of that place, but unfortunately for myself, his family, and the others that were lost, it will now be a haunting memory.

My sincere condolensces to his surviving family, and the pilot's and other families that lost loved ones.

You just never know when, so make sure that all those you love and hold dear know it.

·
ROCKY TOP
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Many years ago I used to live in the Steeplechase and then Stone Creek housing communities in Calabasas that look out onto that hillside where the helicopter crashed. My GF and other friends and I have mountain-biked, jogged, and walked on that exact trail where the helicoptor crashed many times taking our dogs for runs/walks, etc.

From our back yards we could see that entire hillside, except where it dipped low into the canyon. It is just off of the 101 Ventura Freeway (which runs North/South) at the Lost Hills Road exit which is the next exit North from Malibu Canyon Rd/Las Virgines Canyon that takes you to Malibu beach.

Traveling North on the 101 Freeway from the large San Fernando Valley, there is a ~1500ft pass over rolling hills and huge California oaks. It will typically be clear in the SFV, but it is common to have early morning low fog in the canyons just North over that pass which are the main hills or low mountain range that separate Calabasas and points North from the SFV.

Most small aircraft pilots will fly above/along the 101 Freeway en route to destinations North or South, especially when there is typical coastal fog as there was that day. If Kobe's helicopter had flown along the coast from Laguna/Newport Beach, there would have been a heavier marine layer and they would have had to climb significantly in altitude to traverse the much higher Santa Monica coastal mountain range to get over to their destination in Thousand Oaks, which would have taken quite a bit more time.

There are a lot of CEOs and celebrities in the area that have their own aircraft, and it was normal to see small aircraft above the freeway route, but usually much higher. You would normally only see Sheriff and Fire helicopters in the immediate area flying lower on training runs, and their main helipad is just up the road from the crash location.

When I lived there, there were also a few crazy stunt pilots that practiced in their stunt bi-planes at least twice per month just a bit deeper in Malibu Canyon between the housing complexes near the 101 Freeway and Malibu Creek State Park.

They did some crazy manouvers, but were usually around 1,500-3,000 feet high. We could watch them from our front & back yards, and I always hoped that there would never be any accidents because they were absolutely NUTS! But they ONLY FLEW when there were no winds and when it was crystal clear.

There is a fire station and sheriff station within a mile from the crash location, but obviously in this circumstance, there was nothing and no one to rescue. :(

Again it is very typical to have thick early moring fog throughout Malibu Canyon and the surrounding canyons. You would need to be very competent in "flying by instruments" and use GPS in addition to knowing the area and route well.

I could easily imagine that the pilot may have gotten disoriented in the fog and possibly tried to drop below it for better visibility. Because from his flight path, he was EXTREMLY low in the canyon, especially since it is less than a mile South where he would had to have been At Least 2,000 feet in altitude to clear the pass! That is a very short forward distance at speed to drop more than 1,500+ feet!

Some eyewitnesses that were walking their dogs reported that they saw the helicopter fly overhead VERY low, and the engine was extremely loud, but then moments later when you would still expect to hear the helicopter loudly, there was a very short engine sputter and then just dead silence for quite a while until they finally heard the explosion from the crash. I'm no expert, but to me, that indicates engine failure.

IMO, I agree that it was just a bad call to fly in that area AND at that particular time. An hour or so later and the fog usually would have burned off and been a non-issue. :(

I was also on Martha's Vineyard the day after JFK Jr's plane had crashed off the coast. ...Another accident that I believe could have been avoided.

In the Kobe incident, it's just extremely sad that his daughter and other passengers died as well. :(

I had worked with Kobe on several Nike shoots over the years and he was always super friendly and up for just about anything you wanted to do. The last time I saw him was on a Nike "Kobe XI" TV commercial & still shoot in the beginning of November 2015 just after he announced his retirement. He seemed to be "over it" at that point, though.

We actually had a full regulation basketball court brought in and assembled inside a large, empty airplane hangar in Orange County for this 1 day shoot. The production cost for this shoot was nuts. We had one set-up/pre-light day, and then we were scheduled to actually shoot with Kobe the next day.

There was a 7am call time for the shoot day. However, after waiting over 6 hours and having lunch with no Kobe in sight, we finally got word that he had decided that "he just doesn't feel like showing up for the shoot", haha. But through some coaxing by his manager, he finally showed up, but not until after ~3pm. We only had a total of about 20 minutes with him to get all of our shots before he decided to say, "Okay, I'm good", shook all of our hands, said "Thanks", and bailed.

Yeah, he was a celebrity and "baller" so he could obviously get away with just about anything even though he was still under contract with Nike and obligated to do the shoot.

Anyway. It's just absolutely crazy to think that he's gone, and for it to have happened right near where I used to gaze upon that hillside from my backyard and walk/ride on that trail with my GF, friends, & dogs. :( I've always had great memories of that place, but unfortunately for myself, his family, and the others that were lost, it will now be a haunting memory.

My sincere condolensces to his surviving family, and the pilot's and other families that lost loved ones.

You just never know when, so make sure that all those you love and hold dear know it.
Awesome story here, just awesome perspective! I still dont know about the engine account, being it was a dual engine helicopter. Maybe that was the case, but I’m glad I got to hear someones perspective that knows that exact area. It would have also been awesome to be able to spend sometime with Kobe. My initial just over whelming shock is starting to wear off some. #RIPMBA #RIPGIGI #RIPTOEVERYONEONHELI

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21 - 23 of 23 Posts