DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well, my threshold for keeping cars is shitty, at best.
Almost as bad as how often I'm swapping-out audio equipment!

Less than 2 years ago, I bought a BMW 440i.
I still think it was (by far) the best 'driving' car I've ever been behind the wheel of.
Totally predictable. Did exactly what you anticipated it would do. And did it effortlessly.

This past summer, I moved from Vancouver to Calgary.
I don't anticipate most of you know Canadian geography... but Vancouver rarely gets snow.
Calgary, on the other hand, does get snow. Lots of it!

The 440 was a fantastic car... but it became evident that it wasn't going to make it through a Calgary winter.
So, last weekend I ripped the system out of the 440, and traded it in for an X6-M.

What an absolute monster this thing is!
570HP.
Zero to 60 in 3.9 seconds.
Can pull a full G in the corner.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqukzEdPAas

Gonna put all the same equipment in the X6-M... but I might wait until the new Helix DSP Ultra comes out, and try doing a real center channel.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Gonna put all the same equipment in the X6-M... but I might wait until the new Helix DSP Ultra comes out, and try doing a real center channel.
Congrats on the new whip!

That's the only thing I like about the new Helix. But the DSP.3 got center processing too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
259 Posts
You're cracking me up! I am close but not nearly as bad as you. Of course as I type this I have Nick installing my gear from the A7, in to my Tesla Model S. There will be some gear changes from a speaker perspective but I am using my same P Six and Zappco Mono amp from the Audi. Good luck with the new car!

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sweet. I'm thinking about a x3m for my wife
That thing is a little beast too...

I was looking at the X4-M originally.
But the new X6's just came out, so they are trying to get rid of the old body style.
I got this X6-M for the same price as a new 2020 X4-M.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nice!

This would be an excellent time to upgrade to those beryllium tweeters you were looking at..
I was thinking about that...
Not sure what changes (if any) I am going to make. Still thinking it through.

I don't fully understand the new Helix DSP software, so I'm navigating through that right now, as I think I'd like to try a Center Channel.
Basically, I want the two front seats to both be time aligned (like what Audiofrog Andy did in his Merc)... just not sure if the new Helix software is capable of this?

The other issue is that; it's effin' cold outside!
And doing car audio installation is back-breaking contortionist work, at the best of times. Doing it in a friggen cold garage just makes it worse...
I may wait until the spring (but I doubt I can live with the stock H-K system for that long)

·
Registered
556 Posts
I’m with you in the installation being strenuous.

I can’t believe how sore I’ve been each day after I mess with the custom work of installing my 430’s in the dash corners.

I’ll be looking forward to seeing your new build thread.

·
Registered
259 Posts
The other issue is that; it's effin' cold outside!
And doing car audio installation is back-breaking contortionist work, at the best of times. Doing it in a friggen cold garage just makes it worse...
I may wait until the spring (but I doubt I can live with the stock H-K system for that long)
I also thought about this. I was getting tired of taking the car apart on weekends only to have to put it back together for Monday morning commute. Every weekend for 3 months wasnt in the plans.....thus enter Nick (Skizer)

·
Registered
667 Posts
Lol I am the same exact way. I went through 4 cars in 12 months last year and had a system in 3 of them and they were all different.

·
Premium Member
151 Posts
You guys are crazzzzy!
Nice ride Jim . Now I know why you swapped .
Same setup going in ? Pretty top notch so this should be interesting .

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You guys are crazzzzy!
Nice ride Jim . Now I know why you swapped .
Same setup going in ? Pretty top notch so this should be interesting .
Ya, I'm going to use the same equipment... but I might add a few more things:

1. I'm waiting for the new Helix DSP Ultra to come out, and may run with that.
2. I'm thinking I might add a center channel to this vehicle.
3. I might get a 3rd MMATS, to run as a dedicated mono sub amp.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts