DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just spent most of the holidays installing a new system in my VW Jetta TDI and have a few issues that I hope can be resolved.

System:

H/U Stock RNS-315
AMP JL Audio HD900/5
Front Hybrid Audio Clarus
Rear Hybrid Imagine
Sub JL 13W6

Pretty straight foward, although not for the faint of heart. I cut the stock 4x20 watt speaker output and spliced in RCA's to the HD900 for hi-level input. Ran new speaker wire to the front components and abandoned the front stock speaker harness. (The stock harness seamed to be Y connected somewhere in the dash for the factory A pillar tweat and door mids). I ran speaker wire from the amp, installed under driver seat, to the dash and spiced into the stock harness for rear fill. Tapped the fuse box for remote turn on and ran a sub volume control to under the dash.

I applied sound deadening to the inner and outer doors skins, to include the inside of the door panels. Rear doors and trunk still need to be done. For me, this was the most difficult and time consuming task of the whole project.

Without much time for adjustment, I'm fairly impressed with sound.

Here are my issues:

1) My fader control has vanished from factory touchscreen (RNS-315).
2) Low level hiss even when volume is muted, not present when H/U is turned off.
3) Airbag light is on. I think from disconnecting the passenger airbag indicator light w/o disconnecting the battery first.

Any thoughts? Without researching this and VW forums, along with advise from others, my car would most likely still be torn apart. Thanks to all who have assisted.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Sounds pretty normal for a VW really.

Have you tried a car built in japan or USA, even Korea? should fix your problems :D

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello, this is my first post here but I'm currently researching the can-bus system within my LR4.

Without knowing all the details of your build if you're unfamiliar with can-bus & have disconnected and or spliced the factory stereo harness this may be your issue.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have also lost my bluetooth. I'm unfamiliar with can-bus and had no idea that the speakers and wiring were actively being monitor for shorts, opens, or grounds. I cut the eight speaker-out wires at the harness and spliced on RCA's to the hi level input on the HD900/5 amp. After some research, it appears there is a way to program the RNS-315 for different audio options via VCDS. It would be nice to set the unit up for low level output for an outboard amp and hopefully eliminate the hiss and regain fader control. Depending on features, the VCDS software cost up to $350.

Had I known about this headache, I would have just tapped the rear speakers to add a sub and sound deaden the doors.

Another thing worth mentioning is - I installed an add-a-fuse to the fuse box for the amp's remote turn-on. I have no idea what the switched 15amp fuse is that I used since there is no diagram on the fuse cover or the owner's manual since it wasn't availible at time of print.

I may have to go to the dealer and beg for mercy. Thanks for the help thus far.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm also new to it but I have seen a lot of VW kits on the market. I wouldn't bring it to the dealer just yet.

Did you cut the factory loom?

·
Registered
323 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes I cut into the wire harness coming off the back of the deck, but only the the + and - of the front and rear speakers for a total of eight conductors, every other wire connected to the harness was left undisturbed.

I really need the fader control. Using the hi level input on the JL Amp has required turn down the gains to the point where the rear fill is competing with the front sound stage. Maybe I need to bridge the amp and power the rear HAT Imagines 6.2 with the H/U.

Also, would a OEM interface or high quality LOC reduce the hiss I hear now, or show a 4 ohm load and trick the RNS-315/CanBus into thinking the stock speaker are still attached?

kustomkaraudio - I can't seem to locate that part #, do you have a discription?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts