DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there. I recently purchased a new PBR300x4 amplifier. I am (or was) powering 4 p1652-s components with this amp (4 ohms each x4). I finished the install yesterday, and the amp was working fine until at one point it stopped producing music and suddenly started producing a loud buzzing sound to one of the front and one of the rear speakers. At first I thought maybe I blew a speaker but when I swapped the front and rear speaker connector, it did the same thing. I tried a factory speaker and still the same loud buzz.

I checked if it was in protect mode, and the weird thing is both blue (power on) and red (protect mode) LEDs are constantly lit. I allowed it to cool for at least 2 hours and it still just reproduced this buzzing sound to the speakers, no music at all. I also tried adjusting the gain, crossover, and I checked all my wiring and fuses and all looks good. The amp also gets very hot, very quickly even when the head unit is off. I tried disconnecting all the harnesses except power/ground/remote turn-on, and when I turn the engine on, it starts heating up and gets very very hot within a few seconds.

Thinking there might be a short or other wiring issue, I ran a temporary cable directly from the battery plus terminal to the amp, and a separate chassis ground, and still the same thing is happening. Even with no inputs connected and just the B+, ground, and remote wire plugged in, the amp turns on and gets really hot within seconds with the power and protect LEDs constantly lit. I e-mailed RF about this and am awaiting their reply.

Do you think the amp is fried? I just hope I didn't damage my speakers in the process.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Send it back. Sound like you got a bad a one.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies. Looks like it's dead. Sucks cuz I ordered this from the states and now I'm in Europe. Hopefully I can send it to a repair center somewhere here because shipping back to the U.S is sure to be a crazy amount. Starting to second guess this newer Rockford stuff. Looks like the old school stuff was loads better. I have a 2003 451s that still going strong. I even have an old crappy Power Acoustik that still pumps well to this day. Now this one lasts only a couple of hours? Maybe I just got unlucky, but I am really having second thoughts about RF stuff in the future.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I put one in a 1999 Camaro a few weeks ago. Very compact size. Not bridgeable or 4 ohms stable though so flexibility is limited.

It seemed to do the job. It was running to four Focal Axxess 6.5" so it was hard to get an idea on performance as I don't much care for these speakers.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts