DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 20 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
In a previous time I knew lots of brands like Rockford Fosgate, Pioneer, Kenwood, Soundstream PPI, Orion, Alpine etc...all good old school stuff. Most of these names are still around although I am getting the impression that Chinese made components are rampant throughout the market which seems to have a negative opinions about true ratings and quality.

I was perusing the offerings in car audio and came across a brand I had never heard before...Rockville. In a market where falsification is prevalent, they are proven certified in all their numbers, seem to have comparable construction and features as the more expensive well known names, yet they are budget oriented. On this board, very very little is to be found on them and seems to be not favorable.

What gives? :confused:

·
Registered
1,223 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
YouTube search Exo Rockville. He recommended them at first but then had a follow up video about them falling apart. Exocontralto is an interesting guy to watch.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I think you answered my question...Rockville is less expensive so it is looked down upon and subsequently Rockville is not mentioned here very much.
Some very knowledgeable and helpful folks here and mostly friendly. But there are people here with systems and installs in their vehicles that probably cost half as much as I've spent on car audio gear in my entire lifetime. And, I'm in my late 50's. It's not the best place to ask about budget gear even though you will still run across members who will help you out with it.

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
Some very knowledgeable and helpful folks here and mostly friendly. But there are people here with systems and installs in their vehicles that probably cost half as much as I've spent on car audio gear in my entire lifetime. And, I'm in my late 50's. It's not the best place to ask about budget gear even though you will still run across members who will help you out with it.
And that is the real problem with what DIYMA has become and why so many longtime members have walked away completely or only visit occasionally anymore.
The purpose of this site originally was for enthusiasts to gather, comment and recommend do-it-yourself gear (hence the name). Somewhere along the line it morphed into a site that has mostly become about elite boutique brands and very high-dollar installs. Some here still do their own work (fabrication and installs) but, rarely do you see builds using budget gear or hidden gems.

This site also takes on a bit of a snobbish atmosphere at times. Not everyone can or even wants to spend $10,000 on amps and drivers. Maybe their budget is 1/10th that? Why should their opinions, interests and choices be looked down on? Some act like budget SQ isn't even possible.
It's kinda sad to see what has happened to this site and all the former members who rarely visit anymore. A lot of valuable knowledge and experience has been lost.

OP, Rockville is a good entry level brand. You're right that their amps seem to do their rated power or, at least close to it...and cleanly. I specifically like that RXD-T2 amp they offer.
Haven't heard anyone raving about their components but, their K9 series subs seems to be OK, if not a little more SPL oriented.
The only concern I would have with using Rockville would be the durability factor. Will their gear still be in good working order 2, 5 or even 10 years from now? But, considering the price of the products they offer and the almost disposability of cheaper gear, it might not even be a concern to you.

·
Premium Member
1,168 Posts
And that is the real problem with what DIYMA has become and why so many longtime members have walked away completely or only visit occasionally anymore.
The purpose of this site originally was for enthusiasts to gather, comment and recommend do-it-yourself gear (hence the name). Somewhere along the line it morphed into a site that has mostly become about elite boutique brands and very high-dollar installs. Some here still do their own work (fabrication and installs) but, rarely do you see builds using budget gear or hidden gems.
I think a lot of this is due to a lack of objective testing. A lot of the forum has fallen back upon word of mouth reviews and comparisons, which are subject to bias and forum boner-ism. When I was testing a bunch of midrange drivers myself, I got slapped by a few forum boners which didn't live up to the hype both subjectively and objectively. My mistake was not taking the time to gather and post my results. I regret that now.

To see where lack of testing leads to, just look at other hifi communities: You have people who swear that their $200 RCA cable sounds better than a properly made $20 DIY cable with some RG-6 coaxial cable and nice PE terminations. Sorry bro, it just doesn't.

I know ErinH felt that his work wasn't appreciated. Or at least that's what I gathered from PMs with him. I think that his legacy is more apparent with the recommendations that have been seen on the forums lately versus what was recommended back when he was doing testing. That kind of testing exposed products by high-end brands which didn't work as well as OEM drivers 1/6th the cost. Or, it showcased high-end products actually stood out from their class and justified their unusually high price (example AF GB25's).

Additionally, I think a lot of people figured out that QTS of woofers matter in in-door installs, and there has been a swing back to car audio brands who have their woofers damped higher for IB/in-door installs.

So in other words, the pendulum has swung back from DIY/OEM drivers or equipment being in vogue, now to the other direction. We need more independent testing going on to find those gems again; whether they be name brands or OEM brands.

·
Registered
448 Posts

This site also takes on a bit of a snobbish atmosphere at times. Not everyone can or even wants to spend $10,000 on amps and drivers. Maybe their budget is 1/10th that? Why should their opinions, interests and choices be looked down on? Some act like budget SQ isn't even possible.
It's kinda sad to see what has happened to this site and all the former members who rarely visit anymore. A lot of valuable knowledge and experience has been lost.

OP, Rockville is a good entry level brand. You're right that their amps seem to do their rated power or, at least close to it...and cleanly. I specifically like that RXD-T2 amp they offer.
Haven't heard anyone raving about their components but, their K9 series subs seems to be OK, if not a little more SPL oriented.
The only concern I would have with using Rockville would be the durability factor. Will their gear still be in good working order 2, 5 or even 10 years from now? But, considering the price of the products they offer and the almost disposability of cheaper gear, it might not even be a concern to you.
Amen!

·
Registered
31 Posts
The elitist snobs have taken over and belittle those that have a budget.

Cheap can be made to sound pretty good. This is no different than shopping for clearance/sales.... of brands often ignored or forgotten.

Walmart even has a good selection of subwoofers from $19.99 to $100 that work great as long as they are not overpowered.

Silk dome tweeters:
https://www.amazon.com/Rockville-RT6-Swivel-Tweeters-Crossovers/product-reviews/B00HWJTIBE/ref=cm_cr_dp_d_show_all_btm?ie=UTF8&reviewerType=all_reviews

And some of their components:
https://www.amazon.com/Rockville-RV65-2C-Component-Speakers-Watts/dp/B074SMGTQQ
https://www.amazon.com/Rockville-RVL6KIT-Component-Speakers-Aluminum/dp/B019Z3QJH0
https://www.amazon.com/Rockville-RV69-2C-Component-Speakers-Watts/dp/B074SL7LV3

I guess its your choice among pyle, boss, skar, pyramid, lanzar, ... and dozens of others that roll down similar Asian assembly lines. Wonder how many of the fancy or popular names do the same.

·
Premium Member
1,168 Posts
The elitist snobs have taken over and belittle those that have a budget.
In all fairness to TomT, the first I heard about Rockville subwoofers was about the coil glue failing very quickly and frying amps due to creating a short. From that perspective, I think his comment is justified. The amps they make are probably as good as the other Korean-designed, China-made amps which are generally okay.

Remember that he called no one names or belittled anyone. He stated his opinion about the brand. Now you're (indirectly and implicitly) calling him an elitist snob. That doesn't seem fair.

·
Premium Member
272 Posts
I've been thinking about buying a few of their amps for a while now. If and when I do, I will make a post with my findings/opinions/etc. I'm usually on a tight budget, so they are right up my alley. Used to use a PPI P900.4 and I liked it... so we'll see.

·
Registered
7,197 Posts
There's a lot of truths being stated, but also comes down to what works and works well enough to be of high value. There's also the trend of 3-way being more popular now with the added advantage of inexpensive but viable DSP units to pull off such a feat that were not so attainable since years ago.

Several brands of raw drivers have disappeared over the years leaving ones that are less desirable for door installs. Most are merely glorified midranges that play well down to 100hz or so. Not that hard to do with almost anything nearing the cone area of a 6.5". Good, but not so good for most attempting a more complex setup than years ago where 2-ways were far more common. That's one aspect.

Amplifiers... well that's a hard one. Now that A/B comes across as old school, many of your big brands have just about abandoned such lines with mostly underdogs producing the lot. Unfortunately, several are rebadged with minor variances. There's little ooo & ahhh factor to them so on the pile of "must be junk" they go. Most that care about the finer details of car audio wont bother to give them a spin because reliability and long term value is a factor they don't want to risk. My last budget A/B was a big footprint Cadence Flash F100-5. Seemed to play fine, never had a problem with heat or channels blowing, but in the end.. it was a behemoth for the output that I had to damn near give away when I bit the 3-way bug. The latest resurgence was from Zapco with even smaller A/B tech, but even that seems shortlived despite good reviews.

Long winded, but the gist is... buy and try what you want as long as you understand your tastes probably won't align with what's happening now and resale will suck. However, it matters little if you enjoy it until the wheels fall off and those wheels have enough life & character to add value for your money. You don't have to use the latest and greatest to enjoy this hobby.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
922 Posts
Well lol, this thread is a bit humorous as only one person who has used the equipment has chimed in. I will tell you, The owner of Stereo Integrity has a Rockville amp in his car on the front stage and it rocks. I was there last week and got to spend some time demoing his car and I was very impressed. Don’t know anything about the speakers but the amps are strong and the system sounded great and it was silent between songs.
There is a real world review.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
I don’t know if I buy into the elitist groups taking over and frowning down on anyone who dare build a budget system. There is a good mix of high dollar and budget minded groups here. I’ve been a member of many other car audio Forums and let me tell you some of the negative snide comments I got on those forums drove me away from them. I don’t get that here. Many of the members here are much friendlier and open to ideas and just seem more educated about all subjects. Up until this year all of my systems have been budget systems with $25 drivers and $150 or less amplifiers with just a few key expensive pieces.

As far as Rockville, everything I have read about thier amplifiers seems to be good. They dyno very well on YouTube channels like Budget Gem or Bust and people generally seem happy with thier products. They carry a decent warranty and have a history of making generally good products catered towards the budget customer, but seem to deliver great value. I personally do not have experience with them though but budget amplifiers I do have experience with are Pioneer D8601, D8604, D9500f, and they are all great budget amps. JBL/Infinity also have some really good ones such as the GTX 500, Club 5501, and Infinity K1000. Sonic Electronic (x) also has a house brand by the name of NVX and they mostly make very decent stuff, which I have used. You will find the best values through the less known brands such as Wolfram Audio, DLS, SoundQubed, Sound Solutions Audio (SSA), Fi Car Audio, US Acoustics, Incriminator Audio, Sundown Audio, and many many more.

Not to forget that this site is based off of do it yourself gear, Parts Express and Madisound are two great sources for raw drivers.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I don’t know if I buy into the elitist groups taking over and frowning down on anyone who dare build a budget system. There is a good mix of high dollar and budget minded groups here. I’ve been a member of many other car audio Forums and let me tell you some of the negative snide comments I got on those forums drove me away from them. I don’t get that here. Many of the members here are much friendlier and open to ideas and just seem more educated about all subjects. Up until this year all of my systems have been budget systems with $25 drivers and $150 or less amplifiers with just a few key expensive pieces.

As far as Rockville, everything I have read about thier amplifiers seems to be good. They dyno very well on YouTube channels like Budget Gem or Bust and people generally seem happy with thier products. They carry a decent warranty and have a history of making generally good products catered towards the budget customer, but seem to deliver great value. I personally do not have experience with them though but budget amplifiers I do have experience with are Pioneer D8601, D8604, D9500f, and they are all great budget amps. JBL/Infinity also have some really good ones such as the GTX 500, Club 5501, and Infinity K1000. Sonic Electronic (x) also has a house brand by the name of NVX and they mostly make very decent stuff, which I have used. You will find the best values through the less known brands such as Wolfram Audio, DLS, SoundQubed, Sound Solutions Audio (SSA), Fi Car Audio, US Acoustics, Incriminator Audio, Sundown Audio, and many many more.

Not to forget that this site is based off of do it yourself gear, Parts Express and Madisound are two great sources for raw drivers.
This was well stated. This is an expensive hobby and sometimes corners must be cut. When building an entire system at once. You need a vehicle, speakers, amplifiers, DSP, a clean signal, wires and cables, sound deader. The list can go on and on. It's ok to start on a budget then upgrade as time goes on and more money becomes available .

·
Registered
499 Posts
I am a tightwad on a budget and the alleged elitist snobs don't bother me a bit. I have learned a lot about which brands give a good bang for the buck. When I ask for budget recommendation I get multiple.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 104 Posts