DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all I got my router, and sprung for a 1/2" bit set (50)

it has everything bit known to mankind except

the upturn spiral bit i keep reading to use to make recessed baffles

sooo do I have to make a run to homedepot or is there any other bit type that can be used to make recessed baffles?

and to all you first time router users,

goodness gracious they are loud lol--no late night routing I tell you or the cops are coming to the door

and the japser jigs are priceless for noobs

thx

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
The upcut spiral bit is for straight cuts, I use this for cutting the entire circular holes.

For the recessed trim, use the rabbeting bit, but you can alter the cut width (how far out the recess goes) by changing out the bearings.

Here, on this pic, I used my 1/4" rabbeting bit (no bearing used) to creat this trim cut. The actual mounting hole was cut using a hole saw. Hole saws are perfect for making smaller circular cuts, especially for tweeter baffles.

·
Registered
120 Posts
speaking of routers, I went to a local hardware store today to get some PVC fittings and saw that they have a bunch of Makita tools on sale. Upon closer inspection I noticed they have the Makita RF1101KIT on sale for $130.00. Link to specs: http://www.makita.com/Tools_Item_View.asp?id=776
This is a great deal. They are going for $200+ online
If anyone wants one, PM me and I'd be glad to get you one for cost + shipping (probably around $20 for shipping)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.