DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
"Authentic to the Music"
1,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Sorry if my question sounds redundant, but i'm just looking for the most musical/natural/impactful (mayby not a word) 8" midbass I can find. I has come down to these two, Dayton RS225 and the Peerless XLS 8.

Ok, I did some research on the Peerless XLS 8". From everything I read this thing has outstanding impact with great midbass tightness. Npdang says its good up the 500 hz.

My question is between the RS225 and the XLS 8 which is the most musical up to around 400 hz. Detail is what I'm looking for, being both, from what I have read has very good impact, XLS with a little more. I think I remember reading someone saying that they got the XLS the sound very good from 175 hz and below ( I think it was racerraul, sorry if i'm wrong). From what I have read I would have to think the RS225 has the edge in the detail department up this high, being it seem to play a little higher cleaner. Again correct me if i'm wrong.

Again they will be mount IB vented to the outside in the kicks matched with the DLS Iridium 3" dome midrange which will play down to 315 hz and up to 7.5 khz nicely, but sound more controlled from around 375 hz and up to around 6.8 khz, they will also be mounted in the kicks. So I need the midbass to be very musical, natural and detailed up to 400 hz. Up to this point is when angles start to come in to play, below that Path lengths is all that really matters for good imaging and staging.

Now to just make things more complicated :rolleyes:. Do you guys think the the RS180 or the Sea G18rnx/p would be a better choice for what I'm ask of the driver to do.

Thanks for all you guys help in advance.

·
Registered
578 Posts
I think I read on a previous post that you felt the IR8 where not up to snuff...

I find that interesting enough, since that driver is an excellent midbass driver. Every DLS car I have heard using those speakers was awesome & integration with the 3" dome was seamless (for lack of a better term)... I will also add that everyone of those drivers had 30band EQs

I am using the XLS 8. The XLS 8 have great impact, & presence & like you said, I have mine bandpassed @ 170-40

Leo has the RS180's... this driver's impact is superb... I can only guess the RS225 to have equal impact & add more presence... not that the 180 lacks any IMO.

Owning the XLS 8, & having heard the RS180 quite a bit... I would get the RS225 since they are around $20 - $30 cheaper than the XLS 8...

Now, with that said... you are considering very good drivers here... you maybe splitting hairs...

·
DIYMA Founder
4,757 Posts
Both drivers are pretty much top of the line with respect to clean, total bass output. As far as natural/musical/etc. I think that's mostly a matter of tuning and integration. I prefer the Peerless xls 8", as Imo it sounds a bit more controlled at high output due to the longer voice coil. However, output is really pretty close between the two because of suspension limitations. If you're looking for a dedicated mid/bass, stick with the 8" drivers.

Btw, the Peerless is a discontinued driver. It maybe difficult to find stock nowadays.

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
so they stopped making the 830491 now?? wow thats interesting

Ill have mine in this weekend(dayton 8's) to compare them both (just waiting for my new deck to arrive) today or tommorrow

I ran my XLS 8" up to 400 no issues, they have a extremely powerful and accurate sound IMO, I was very shocked once I played them, since the suspension is so soft in comparison to most 8" woofers. Id recommend them to anyone EASY

im different them the other guys though in that I think they need the full RMS (200W if you ask me) IB , but maybe that was due to my panel construction

it seems that the XLS also has more cone area if that makes any difference, and if they are showing the dayton is "sexier"

·
Registered
96 Posts
newtitan said:
so they stopped making the 830491 now?? wow thats interesting

Ill have mine in this weekend(dayton 8's) to compare them both (just waiting for my new deck to arrive) today or tommorrow

I ran my XLS 8" up to 400 no issues, they have a extremely powerful and accurate sound IMO, I was very shocked once I played them, since the suspension is so soft in comparison to most 8" woofers. Id recommend them to anyone EASY

im different them the other guys though in that I think they need the full RMS (200W if you ask me) IB , but maybe that was due to my panel construction

it seems that the XLS also has more cone area if that makes any difference, and if they are showing the dayton is "sexier"
Hurry up already! I am dying to hear your observations and how much power you put on them. Are you using them three way or going two way?

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
two way for now at least, 3 way once someone relases a 3" midrange

and sorry for the wait the new HU arrives today or tommorrow--have to wire up the speakers and the bypass , so Ill have a review up by the weekend

just got word that with the 4 ohm daytons, they are also realsesing a new dome midrange

sweet huh

toobad it will still be a few more months

·
Registered
578 Posts
newtitan said:

and sorry for the wait the new HU arrives today or tommorrow--have to wire up the speakers and the bypass , so Ill have a review up by the weekend

just got word that with the 4 ohm daytons, they are also realsesing a new dome midrange

sweet huh

Titan... I know this is off-topic for this thread but you just reminded me of something...

I have a friend that is using the DLS UR2.5 in his Mazda 3's a-pillars with 10" Morels in his doors... Again another DLS car that sounds great... I don't see why you couldn't make them work as well with some TLC...

I thought perhaps you would be interested in them... PM me & I can answer any questions you may have...

If price wasn't an issue & I did not have the space I currently have to work with, I would certainly be considering DLS domes...

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
yeah im keep thinking about the IR3 or md140/2 (right back where I started lol)

I really like the midrange up top since there is a 58" difference from the floor to listening ht

, but I want my pillar a little less obtuse ( I had a 5" before ) it was a little too bulky

geez who would think a 3" dome midrange that can play from 300-3000 would be so hard to find

Im going to try the daytons this weekend before I buy anything else though lol

·
Registered
578 Posts
Cool...

I was just thinking that if I was in your shoes I would much rather have the 8's up to 500hz on the doors rather than 1k or 2k... been there before in my truck before & after listening to my friends car using the UR2.5 to 500hz, it is a far much better solution...

·
"Authentic to the Music"
1,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok, the IR8 is a good midbass, but if you compare it to the IR6, it just don't have the detail up above 150 hz, but it has more impact, and for a 6.5 the IR6 has some great impact.

Know I played with the Morel elite 6 (just to so what the hype was about this driver) a couple of weeks ago and these things are sweet sounding, but lack the impact of the IR6, Not saying it don't have impact just not as much as the IR6, It was a bit more musical, so it was easyer to blend with the IR3 (love this thing).

Now I a DLS dealer and a part of Team DLS and love the amps/subs/mids and highs. But, with that being said, that are replacing the IR8 with a sandwich cone drive. So I'm not the only one that thinks it a little slow.

So what I'm looking for is the Detail of the Morel Elite 6 with the impact of the IR8. Some say what I'm looking for is the Morel Elite 9, but I have not played with or heard this driver. Now if I can get the same proformance a fraction of the cost, way pay the 4 bills for the Elite 9.

Man, thanks for all the replies. It is greatly appreciated. SBN 2006 will be my first show for the car and it has been a long and hard road getting there (it not over yet).

·
Registered
578 Posts
I want to make that show as well... we'll see if I can make it or not... in the very least I will try to just go & hang out there...

Me making it depends on weather or not I can fix my not being able to reach 135db in SPL... a pet peave of mine since I can for the life of me figure out the need to meet that SPL cap in a SQ vehicle...

Oh well...

I do have plans for the truck but it may not be till 2007 SBN... :(

·
"Authentic to the Music"
1,970 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
newtitan said:
geez who would think a 3" dome midrange that can play from 300-3000 would be so hard to find

Im going to try the daytons this weekend before I buy anything else though lol
Scott Buwalda is coming out with is own line of drivers, and included in this is a 3" mid that will play from upper hundreds up to I think 6 or 7 khz, but it is not a dome mid. He is running the prototypes of his line of drivers in the ebay 240sx for some real world testing and it is kicking for major Butt in the lanes.

·
Registered
96 Posts
newtitan said:

sweet huh

Ah, I'm not going to be doing anything for a while. I just get to sit back and watch you guys have all the fun. Your two way is what I want to do though, although I hope to use the 7" one and possibly the dayton tweeter.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.