DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
seeking some advice, I have a four channel amp (alpine pdx9) and a MiNiDSP C-DSP 8x12,i want to run a three way active however i don't have enough channel on the amplifiers, my question is can i run the tweeters directly from the DSP without going through the AMP, thanks

·
Registered
2004 Rav4 JL900/5 NVXvad2 MiniDsp 8x12(Dirac) LPG26NA GS25 Epique180-44 (2)Um12
1,793 Posts
Ok, but wait, my HD900/5 gains get set to something like 20v I think. 20v is 100w so wouldn’t pre outs be 5w per volt? I very well might be completely looking dumb but couldn’t 10w run a tweeter quite loudly?

·
Registered
2003 Jetta Wagon
793 Posts
Ok, but wait, my HD900/5 gains get set to something like 20v I think. 20v is 100w so wouldn’t pre outs be 5w per volt? I very well might be completely looking dumb but couldn’t 10w run a tweeter quite loudly?
oooooooo i didnt even think of that! I dont know if works like that but i want someone to try! i guess i could try haha

·
Registered
2004 Rav4 JL900/5 NVXvad2 MiniDsp 8x12(Dirac) LPG26NA GS25 Epique180-44 (2)Um12
1,793 Posts
oooooooo i didnt even think of that! I dont know if works like that but i want someone to try! i guess i could try haha
Wait till someone in the know chimes in lol. Aren’t coaxial outputs like hundreds of ohms? Might be like bridging an amp down to.0025 ohm load.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Mini DSP8x12v2 output voltage is 4.5V RMS MAX - If you put a 4 ohm load on it the most youll ever see is 5 watts... voltage squared divided by resistance equals power (watts)

I bet in most cases you would not be getting more than a watt though... its just op amps on the outputs.. not enough juice to push even a tweeter.. well it might be audible but i dont think it would be close to sufficient.

There are many many tiny little amps you can get for tweeters.. i use a Eton micro for rear fill that will fit in the palm of my hand... i think its like 60-80watts x 2... alot of great options out there. Amps are hard to screw up nowadays.. but not gunna lie I am running Gold modded Genesis just for the Fu$# of it... but I would definitely put all my $$$ into speakers and DSP way before amps.. just get anything thats not a Crunch or Pyle and youll be OK.. LOL

·
Registered
32 Posts
Just because a device can output 4.5V doesn't mean it can source enough current to actually drive 5 watts of power. I work with lots of micro controllers that output 5V but you can't pull more than a few miliamps on any of it's lines. Generally speaking the mini DSP is expecting a high impedance load possibly as high as 47k. 4 ohms is just going to drag it to 0 all the time.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Mini DSP8x12v2 output voltage is 4.5V RMS MAX - If you put a 4 ohm load on it the most youll ever see is 5 watts... voltage squared divided by resistance equals power (watts)

I bet in most cases you would not be getting more than a watt though... its just op amps on the outputs.. not enough juice to push even a tweeter.. well it might be audible but i dont think it would be close to sufficient and you can get the best electric tankless heater

There are many many tiny little amps you can get for tweeters.. i use a Eton micro for rear fill that will fit in the palm of my hand... i think its like 60-80watts x 2... alot of great options out there. Amps are hard to screw up nowadays.. but not gunna lie I am running Gold modded Genesis just for the Fu$# of it... but I would definitely put all my $$$ into speakers and DSP way before amps.. just get anything thats not a Crunch or Pyle and youll be OK.. LOL
Thanks for this suggestion.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts