DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you have a molex / plug connector for the door wiring how do run new speaker cables?

What is the best way to drill out any spare pins on the main car body plug without taking the door off for access?

If there aren’t any spare pins in the plug to drill out what do you do?

This is what is causing the most issues for me!

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Listener of Music
2,935 Posts
You can drill a hole in the door and car and use a smaller version of the the grommet and boot the factory uses. Or you can just drill a single big hole in the connector and reroute a couple factory wires along side your wires in the new big hole.

·
Registered
7,517 Posts
I've yet to run into a plug that didn't have empty spots to either drill out, or plug into using the OEM terminals. I prefer to track down the OEM terminals, but they can be a bit tricky to track down exactly what you need at first.

I used these in my VW without the white plastic plugs:

If there are no blank spots, you can do what Theslaking said. If you do drill through the sheet metal, be sure to add some touch up paint, or at least grease to prevent rust, and use a rubber grommet.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks all - it’s a French car so the isn’t a normal Molex and the pins are small :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
38 Posts
I just did this and what I do is pull out the door boot and tape my speaker wire to something like a nail or coat hanger, and poke it through the boot all stretched out. I always wrap this wire in black electrical tape so that its black and blends with the door boot and figure it protects the speaker wire. You then poke it through the top boot. Make sure none of the wiring is in the way of course. 2 cars back I was able to just go through the boot but my subaru has a weird 1 way type boot with an internal sleeve.

·
Registered
601 Posts
I just did this and what I do is pull out the door boot
Most modern cars don't have a rubber boot. Instead, there is a connector in the door jamb that the door wiring plugs into. So if there aren't any slots available for additional pins in the connector, it's difficult to add additional wiring. That's the problem that SiW80 is dealing with.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I would look at where the Molex plug clips in. Most times there is a little room on both sides of that clip. I have found this on many European cars so I would look at that.

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
I would look at where the Molex plug clips in. Most times there is a little room on both sides of that clip. I have found this on many European cars so I would look at that.
That's a possibility and worth looking into, with my A4 there was a slot just large enough to feed the wire through, with my Volvo, no such luck, had to remove the doors and drill a new hole.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts