DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well guys, this subwoofer picking is giving me more and more of a headache.

My mounting depth is about 4.8~ but it's the magnet diameter that really is a tight fit.

I'm not looking for anything super loud, I listen to alot of rock, heavy metal and "hardcore" if you will.

The car is an 01 dodge dakota, and these subs are going in the God awful thunderform, Dual 10"s (will be reinforced by some fiberglass in a few weeks). The angle of the rear of the box comes in pretty damn hard, which limits me to only a few subwoofers.

After examining some dimensions, it looks like I could fit 2 of these:
JL Audio Products: Subwoofers / 10W1v2

I've never been a fan of JL, but I could snag a pair of them for 150~ or so, and throw 700 watts at them.

Does anyone have experience with the W1 10"? How is the SQ of them, that is what I am chasing.

If anyone has any other options for me, the subwoofer needs to be 4.7" Deep or less, and the magnet diameter needs to be LESS than 5"

I would build UP, BUT then i would need to move the seat up, which is not an option for me right now.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Those will work :)

Guess you have checked all the shallow mount subs ?

Tryin man, alot of the shallow mounts tend to have a bigger basket, and since my thunderform is recessed, they won't fit. SO much limitation in this damn thing.

lol.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I kind of just had a Eureka! moment.

I suppose I could make a 10" baffle, and throw a sundown E8, or Similar in each side?

Would that benefit me any loudness/SQ over those JL's?

·
Registered
997 Posts
Do you really need that much clearance behind the pole vent?
I ran a brief experiment some time ago that suggested low pole vent clearance that can lead to increased distortion at lower frequencies. My test sub at the time was the Shiva 12". I guess whether or not that increase in distortion is actually audible is a subjective matter. I usually suggest a minimum of 2" to avoid the issue entirely.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I had the 12W1V2 (12") version and they sounded ok to me. Not really good in SQ, i thought they were boomy but hit pretty hard. Kinda sloppy when i played rock through them, great for rap though. FYI, 700 watts will blow these easily. I ran about 320 watts to each of them and was rewarded with a smelly voice coil. Mine were in a sealed box too (facing upwards under the rear seats of a crew cab Nissan Titan, not sure of the cubic ft).

Not a good SQ sub. I replaced them with MBQuart RWE 12" and am much much happier. Just my 2 cents...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts