DIYMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This a total noobie question. I'm installing an amp in the trunk of my RAV4. I know that the power cable has to run on the opposite side of the car than the RCAs. It also sounds like the speaker wires should not be run next to the power cable.

In my case, the power will run down the passenger side. How should I run the speaker cable to the front passenger side? Should I go all the way down the driver side and then across the dash to the front passenger side? What about the passenger rear? Is it enough to run the speaker cable on the same side as the power cable, but keep them separated by a few inches?

Also, what about the remote turn on wire? Should I also keep that away from the RCAs?

Again, I know this is a noobie question, but I did try to search for an answer first.

· Registered
65 Posts
I ran my speaker cable as you suggested and haven't noticed any issues. The main idea is avoid longer runs of power beside speaker wire. Crossing is usually unavoidable and acceptable if they just cross, not follow. You may as well run the remote turn-on next to the power; I don't see any benefit to running it elsewhere.

· Registered
12,625 Posts
most of the time it doesnt make any difference. I run all my wires bundled together all on the same side for years. buy decent quality shielded RCAs and you are golden.

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I ran my speaker cable as you suggested and haven't noticed any issues. The main idea is avoid longer runs of power beside speaker wire. Crossing is usually unavoidable and acceptable if they just cross, not follow. You may as well run the remote turn-on next to the power; I don't see any benefit to running it elsewhere.
But in some way the cable for my rear passenger speaker has to run alongside the power cable right? I guess I can push the speaker cable under carpet and give it some separation. I'm not so worried about the rears. Just trying to do things right.

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
most of the time it doesnt make any difference. I run all my wires bundled together all on the same side for years. buy decent quality shielded RCAs and you are golden.
Also, I was planning on buying the JL RCAs. Not sure if I'm just paying for the name, but would you consider them decent? There are actually 2 versions:

JL Audio XD-CLRAIC2-18 18 ft. (5.49 m) 2-channel Twisted-Pair Audio Interconnect Cable w/ Molded Connectors -

JL Audio XB-BLUAIC2-18 (xbbluaic218) 18 ft. (5.49 meters) 2-

Not sure if the premium JLs are worth all that extra money.

· Registered
186 Posts
I have a RAV. I have two amps - a 4chanel under the passenger seat and sub amp in the back. I ran my power for the sub amp down the middle of the car and the RCAs down the passenger side. No noise issues.

As far as RCAs go, I used these for a while. They work really well. No issues.

· Registered
12,625 Posts

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have a RAV. I have two amps - a 4chanel under the passenger seat and sub amp in the back. I ran my power for the sub amp down the middle of the car and the RCAs down the passenger side. No noise issues.

As far as RCAs go, I'm using these . They work really well. No issues.
I'm trying to do a totally stealth install and put the amp in the large compartment in the trunk. I know you don't necessarily want to enclose an amp, but it's a large compartment and it's only a little amp for now (JL XD200/2).

Thanks for the RCA recommendations. I kind of want to go for an all JL system (amp, speakers, amp install kit, RCAs and speaker wire), but I think I might be wasting money doing that.

· Registered
12,625 Posts
I'm trying to do a totally stealth install and put the amp in the large compartment in the trunk. I know you don't necessarily want to enclose an amp, but it's a large compartment and it's only a little amp for now (JL XD200/2).

Thanks for the RCA recommendations. I kind of want to go for an all JL system (amp, speakers, amp install kit, RCAs and speaker wire), but I think I might be wasting money doing that.
its your money to waste ;)

but ya, getting Jl wire is gonna cost you more than you need to spend. look into wending cable for power and ground. 4ga is about $1/ft

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.