DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The rear of my car has 6x9s and right now there are a pair of Excelon 2-ways in there now. I was thinking about changing them out for Boston SR95s. They seem to have good reviews and I can pick up a pair for under $110 new. Are there better options for >$150? My front stage is great but I feel my rears could use a little more umph.

Second, should I use the cloth-like backing that was under the factory speakers? Is there a point to those other than keeping road noise out?

·
Registered
12,054 Posts
best idea. disconnect the rears and call it good. you dont need em anyway ;)

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have people ride in my back seat often ad don't want to just cut them out. My tweeters are low on the doors so they don't really carry to the back seat.

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
i always found alpine type-r 6x9 speakers to have pretty good sound, and a lot of low-end output (compared to other 6x9).

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The low end is handled just fine. I would like to add a plate and a component set back there but thats more $$$ than I wanna spend.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Those do look tempting but do you think they'll sound as good or better than the Boston Acoustic 6x9s? I know that components almost always sound better than coax but would this be an exception?

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I do not know, but for the price I think it's worth a shot.
Those comps will be $55+shipping+adaptors which will come out to just about the same and the Bostons. I'll have to check the used market and see if I can get a tried and true set of comps.

·
Registered
6,375 Posts
I would run 6x9 or 8s for rears if I had the choice, I would never give up the extra midbass from a larger driver. I don't think comps necessarily sound better, they do give better install options and sometimes have better xovers, and you should get something more if they cost significantly more. Usually the one with the most bass is best for rears.

Covers on the speakers? Try it with and without see what you think.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I would run 6x9 or 8s for rears if I had the choice, I would never give up the extra midbass from a larger driver. I don't think comps necessarily sound better, they do give better install options and sometimes have better xovers, and you should get something more if they cost significantly more. Usually the one with the most bass is best for rears.

Covers on the speakers? Try it with and without see what you think.
I think I'm just going to get the Bostons. They will be easier to install and they'll match my fronts.

·
Registered
6,375 Posts
I like bostons, but it can depend on the install. I like to have lots of bass and limited mid/treble in back. I've put felt over them to cut the treble, it depends on how they mount. It idea is the rear people will hear the mid/high because they are so close but you don't want the mid/high to travel to the front. This way you can run them louder (or same as fronts) and get the bass, which if you have a sub means midbass, and the system will be stronger. Unless you happen to have fronts with piles of midbass and I'm not sure I've ever had that problem in my life so far lol. From the rear you usually will not localize the midbass that much so your stage stays in front, unless your fronts suck and have no midbass at all. You should hear more midbass from fronts because you are closer to the fronts, and the rears will just beef it up. That is if you can get that response from the rear, if the highs are loud back there it will not work that way; you will turn them down and then that turns the midbass down too...you lose everything.

Does that make sense lol. If you read the huge thread on midbass arrays that is how it works you can put midbass in various places in the car and midbass is stronger, without messing up the stage. You have to have some midbass in front to start with, and running rears that are coax/etc they need to be a little louder in the bass/midbass. With midbass only in the rear of course you don't have mid/highs which is what they are doing in the thread. Reduced mid/high response from a full range back there will work the same way.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts