DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long story short. My son bought a nasty Silvia (240sx) had an awesome 2JZ For it and it’s now time for audio. At least an attempt at audio.

It presents some wiring issues. I’m gonna post a few pics of what’s left of the head unit wiring if someone could give me some input on it. Its a double din And we plan on installing a double din back in w all JL components, w7 sub and JL amps. All passive on this one.
Any help would be awesome. Mostly does this car still need am antenna hookup and what is possibly going on w the 2 white harnesses. Not sure if these are factory or was that all gutted from previous owner

Attachments

·
Registered
966 Posts
Long story short. My son bought a nasty Silvia (240sx) had an awesome 2JZ For it and it’s now time for audio. At least an attempt at audio.

It presents some wiring issues. I’m gonna post a few pics of what’s left of the head unit wiring if someone could give me some input on it. Its a double din And we plan on installing a double din back in w all JL components, w7 sub and JL amps. All passive on this one.
Any help would be awesome. Mostly does this car still need am antenna hookup and what is possibly going on w the 2 white harnesses. Not sure if these are factory or was that all gutted from previous owner
Dude how did you manage to get one?
Also are you in the USA

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Vendor
20,464 Posts
Love these cars

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys. It’s a 98. Bought it from a guy who works at Boeing in Philly. The guy sunk some serious coin into it. And so has my kid now. Yea there hard to come by, he saved every dollar, every Xmas, birthday card. Every dollar ever earned and bought this car. We helped out a bit too. But yea he had to give 30k for a 1998 car. It’s cleaner than most though. And he loves it. It’s nasty fast. Like real nasty

·
Registered
332 Posts
Some of those Nissan's need the antenna plugged in to turn on. For instance the Pathfinder and the Maxima. I mean you can ground out the antenna port but at that point you might as well just plug it in.
Plugging in the antenna will provide a ground through the shield. There is no gound in the OEM harness. You don't need the antenna add a ground wire for the radio.

·
Listener of Music
4,457 Posts
My maxima, my buddies 4th gen, and another Pathfinder will not power up without the antenna plugged in. The all have Bose.

·
Listener of Music
4,457 Posts
Most Nissan's after the mid 90's had it in the rear glass. So it it's in there there's a plug somewhere. Or it was removed.

SSinstaller may be correct about your car. I just know it's not true on my 2000 Nissan.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Thank you. Unfortunately this car doesn’t have any antenna as far as I can see. How would I handle that then
There is no need for an antenna. If any radio doesn't work without one, it's because there isn't a proper ground in the harness.

SSinstaller may be correct about your car. I just know it's not true on my 2000 Nissan.
Unplug your antenna, then run a ground from the radio chassy to the metal dash brace and it will turn back on.
Without a proper ground in the harness the antenna shield will function as a ground.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts