DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought an SA-12 since they had a sale on them for october. For anyone who has used one, how will it sound off 500 rms?
I plan to throw 500 rms at it but people have told me this sub doesnt sound good until it's getting 800-1000 rms on account of it being inefficient.
Thats worries me as my stock electrical isnt amazing.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
haha no idea. I'm having someone build the box for me but we will build it larger slightly to make up for the lack of power.

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
If you're having a ported box built I think 500 watts would be plenty. It also depends on how loud you listen to music & what else your sytem consists of.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yea, it'll be ported. All I have are some front components running off 50rms.
I dont care about numbers, I just listen at normal volumes or a little louder. Every now and then I'll bump it loud with friends but thats about it.

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
Then I think it will work out great for you.

·
Registered
427 Posts
If you're not planning on giving it much more power than that you could take the box up to 2.5 - 3 cubic feet tuned to 32 hz and get quite a bit more efficiency out of it, just don't try overpowering it with a box that size. Guys on the Sundown forum have been running those daily on 1000-1500 watts rms in the recommended enclosure, but for that bump in output you'd be better off (and safer) adding a second one to get there. A single SA-12 in 1.75 - 3 cubes will be stupid loud with 500 watts though.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
you mean add a 2nd sub? LOL I dont rly have the budget, plus my last set up was a 250 rms pioneer that I've actually seen stocked at walmart. haha so I'm sure a single SA will blow me away for the time being. I've never actually heard anything else besides my sub and a few kicker setups.
As long as 500 rms is enough to get the sub moving enough to play lows with some authority, I'll be happy.
Like I said, rarely will I do past normal volumes.

I may still get a bigger amp but I'm swapping all this into a new car that I have not bought yet. So depending on the alternator size, I will either get a 500rms or a 750rms amp. Chances are the car will be smaller and have something like a 70amp alternator and to push 890 rms (mono+2channel) on stock electrical, I dont think it will be able to pull it off. Do you?

·
Registered
427 Posts
The difference in output between 500 and 750 watts rms is about 3db, so if you already have the 500 watt amp just run with it. I wouldn't worry about upgrading amps unless yours releases the magic smoke or you upgrade to a dual sub setup. What car is it?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well thats the thing, I dont have one yet. Everything will go into the new car. Right now I'm driving a nissan. If the new car has a larger alternator I'll get the 750 watt amp, if its smaller I'll get the 500 watt amp. I have a 2 channel that makes like 140 rms total. So 140+750 = 890 and I dont think a 70amp alternator can run that plus everything else in the car.

·
Registered
3,035 Posts

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
It seems like SA-10/12 have a slightly lower sensitivity than a lot of mainstream subs when running in a sealed box, but then that's the price you pay for being able to use a compact sealed box. WinISD suggests a sealed box smaller than 1cu ft, but it also needs about 70-80% of wattage to achieve the same SPL as say IDQv3 or Alpine Type R running in an optimal for them sealed box. regardless, I think 500watt RMS would be sufficient for me, even in sealed box. Ported box could be a game changer though. Overall it seems like an interesting sub with lots of good reviews. I'll keep it on my watchlist for the time when I need a sub.

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
well thats the thing, I dont have one yet. Everything will go into the new car. Right now I'm driving a nissan. If the new car has a larger alternator I'll get the 750 watt amp, if its smaller I'll get the 500 watt amp. I have a 2 channel that makes like 140 rms total. So 140+750 = 890 and I dont think a 70amp alternator can run that plus everything else in the car.
A lot of people have told me that you need to run well over 1000watt RMS to start worrying about upgrading the alternator. I think you'll be fine with the stock alternator.

·
Registered
125 Posts
As long as the amp you are claiming to have 500rms, actually has 500rms than you should be fine.

·
Registered
427 Posts
It seems like SA-10/12 have a slightly lower sensitivity than a lot of mainstream subs when running in a sealed box, but then that's the price you pay for being able to use a compact sealed box. WinISD suggests a sealed box smaller than 1cu ft, but it also needs about 70-80% of wattage to achieve the same SPL as say IDQv3 or Alpine Type R running in an optimal for them sealed box. regardless, I think 500watt RMS would be sufficient for me, even in sealed box. Ported box could be a game changer though. Overall it seems like an interesting sub with lots of good reviews. I'll keep it on my watchlist for the time when I need a sub.
Keep in mind, for average music listening a 500 watt RMS amplifier won't be actually putting out that much power. A good rule of thumb is to take half the fuse rating of all your amplifiers and you should expect close to that much continuous amperage in your system. Unless you're listening to a bass demonstration cd or a sine wave, which in that case you're competing and you've already upgraded the alternator and added batteries.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts