DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys i haven't had any luck searching but i have one sa8 and it's currently in a sealed box looking to make a ported box for it but know NOTHING about box building (i can do the wood working part) can anyone give me the dimensions and sizes i need to cut and put together for a basic box for this thing? i'm thinking something between .6-.8 tuned to 35ish or whatever will sound good for daily use?

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
get a hold of Jacob at Sundown.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Well, you did not give any space requirements. So single 8" sub in a .75 cubic foot enclosure tuned to 35 hertz.

Without any port or woofer displacement consideration, 12.75 X 12.75 x 9.75 external dimensions.

To keep port velocity down, a 1.5"X12" high by 49" long when using 500 watts of power. a SSf needs to be used at 20 hertz. This gives a 35 hertz tune and protect the woofer from over excursion under tuning

There is a lot to consider when designing a ported enclosure. And it can be a real pain when trying to design a small ported enclosure. The port volume requirements can be larger than the everything else.

I am a fan of pwkdesigns.com I just ordered an enclosure design last week from ram-audio.com
Going to try it out and compare.

·
Registered
41 Posts
in the end you would be looking at about ~1.5 cubic feet after you take displacement into account. Do you have any measurements that would help in designing an enclosure, something like it can not exceed 12 inches tall...36 inches wide...15 inches deep....without that its almost impossible to design something that would fit.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i think this might be close anyone want to check my figures. The outside deminsions are 23" wide, 11" tall, and 12" deep. The port is 1" tall, 9" wide, and 27.25" long. It will be made from 3/4" MDF. Hopefully being in the trunk of my s4 i shouldn't have noticeable port noise. what do you guys think?

·
Registered
41 Posts
1.24 total volume
port takes up ~.25 cubic feet

if my math is right that would be 1 cubic foot after displacement tuned to ~27hz...i would double check my math though.

9sq inches of port will probably be fine for the single 8 inch subwoofer

1 - 16 of 16 Posts