DIYMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
SAAB 9-5 Aero / 2008 Siverado / GMC Canyon
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Started a thread on speaker advice and after the great input I ended up doing a 180...The guidance has caused me to keep my focus and investment on the front stage as it should be, and add to the build as I can from there. . That in mind I am going to go with the new Thesis sax 3 way...GULP! I know and sorry for crying wolf on the other thread, but your guidance has put my thoughts in perspective as my head up until this point has been focused on the Car Build not so much the Audio Build (I will put some pics together and post). So thanks for the ***** slap, and I will not change my mind again LOL!!I will sell off my existing gear as my 9-5 Aero performance build is almost done and should have enough time to sell and buy gear...
Anyway... I am certain that there are many of you that have experience with installing and setup of the Thesis line and would love any advice or recommendations. I do have a couple of initial questions as it has to do with some initial purchases I need to make...

Some SAAB 9-5 speaker location pics

1- Should I use dash locations for the 3" which would splash up at windshield and use A-pillar pods with ball joints for the Violino's?
2- Amplifier power recommendations...?
3- Center Speaker...don't bother I assume?.. which is fine as I am planning on putting turbo gauge there...

Attachments

· Registered
103 Posts
I can only dream of running such high end speakers, and I'm sure you will get the best from them by taking sound advice from the many knowledgeable folks here, both for the install and the tuning.

Perhaps the 1st thing to establish is if the 3" mid will physically fit in the dash location. May involve a little work, but probably prudent to try. Forgive my poor memory, are you running a DSP? From what I have read on here, they make a world of difference with tuning and could certainly help the mids to perform well in the dash locations.

Tweeter pods look cool, plenty of scope for adjustment to get them sounding right!

· Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I can only dream of running such high end speakers, and I'm sure you will get the best from them by taking sound advice from the many knowledgeable folks here, both for the install and the tuning.

Perhaps the 1st thing to establish is if the 3" mid will physically fit in the dash location. May involve a little work, but probably prudent to try. Forgive my poor memory, are you running a DSP? From what I have read on here, they make a world of difference with tuning and could certainly help the mids to perform well in the dash locations.

Tweeter pods look cool, plenty of scope for adjustment to get them sounding right!
Hey my friend...I am so excited to try the thesis and I am definitely going to invest in all the advice I get here...what I have read is amazing. I figured that i want to do this build once so what the hell...ok well maybe twice LOL... I tested a 3" focal in the dash and it fit no problem and the dash mounting area is quite firm, so I should be able to do some treatment inside if that would be beneficial. The Thesis 3 is close enough in size so should not be a problem. Yes I have an Audio Control 810 DSP with 10 channels out And a Kenwood Excelon DMX907S for a HU... I have 2 A-Control 6 channel amps but they are 125rms @ 4 which I assume will be fine for the tweets and 3's but not enough for the 6.5's for sure. I know not the DSP is not the best but should be clean...but open to suggestions for sure and for the amp to run the midbase. Thanks for the help! Cant wait...been doing the car build for 3 months and drove for the first time today, which made me even more impatient to do the audio build...

· Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Do you think selling my gear here would be a goad idea knowing that I am new and it could take some time to establish myself first which I am totally fine with and respect. I dont want anyone here to think I would be trying to scam anyone....just sayin... here are some pics of the car build in progress, forgot had them on my phone

Attachments

· Super Moderator
2,615 Posts
I'm very interested on your impressions of the Thesis 3-way set-up, since I'm trying to sell a complete set in the classified section right now, it could possibly help others see (hear) how awesome these speakers truly are...
Cheers!

· Registered
611 Posts
I'm very interested on your impressions of the Thesis 3-way set-up, since I'm trying to sell a complete set in the classified section right now, it could possibly help others see (hear) how awesome these speakers truly are...
Cheers!
That's actually a killer price for those Audisons. Holy [email protected]% those bad boys aren't cheap.

OP, the AC amps should be just fine for the 6.5s.

· Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Really...thought they would be comfortably hungry at like a 200-250 rms to get everything out of them. I have a lot to learn...LOL. Yeah the money is good on that set...Its my buddy in Boston who has them freshly installed and trading his car now. Going to have a listen this weekend to scrutinize. I have done some more reading and seems there are many opinions of course regarding the money spent and return. Value is always subjective, and surprisingly there seems to be very little, first hand, end user, tangible reviews that I am able to find on the Thesis line compared to the other high end drivers. Many compare against Scans, Hertz, Focal, Morel etc...saying... "and I paraphrase" that the extra money spent on Thesis has a diminishing return at best if the tune is not right and the install is half assed. Alternatively, we all have a different ear, and we all hold value in a different light...so who the hell knows LOL! Non of it matters if both tune and install are shorted ...as the sound would be less than stellar regardless of the drivers used. I have to be honest with myself as well and be sure I am capable of the TUNE...or find someone near me that is! So I can get all there is from my install. Otherwise why pay the extra money... I dont give a sh&%T about the name on my gear...I simply want the results!

· Registered
611 Posts
The AC amps will push them. They can probably soak up more wattage, but unless you're trying for public address levels, I'd think you'll be okay.

I'm a fan if Morel in terms of bang for the buck, but I've never heard a set of $5500+ (car) speakers. My most expensive set was Boston Pros, many years ago.

I've put plenty of Focals in for people, as well as Morels. I just slightly favor the Morel tweeter. Some are the opposite.

· Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
LOL no sound ordinance here...Thats good advice thanks. I have focal KX3 ...6.5 utopias, ES130, ES 100, and EC165's NIB on the shelf at home that I could use...I guess I just want to try the Thesis thinking only about the front stage quality. Also want to make sure on the thesis and cant see paying 55...dont see the return... Do you have an opinion on the 165WXP vs the K2X 6.5's for the front stage? 2ohm vs 4ohm...K2X is a heavier driver and assume will lose some detail but have a heavier punch? Same adapter rings and very close on depth so Was thinking of doing a live comparison left and right. I put my girlfriends to shame and cant make up my mind!!

· Super Moderator
2,615 Posts
LOL no sound ordinance here...Thats good advice thanks. I have focal KX3 ...6.5 utopias, ES130, ES 100, and EC165's NIB on the shelf at home that I could use...I guess I just want to try the Thesis thinking only about the front stage quality. Also want to make sure on the thesis and cant see paying 55...don't see the return... Do you have an opinion on the 165WXP vs the K2X 6.5's for the front stage? 2ohm vs 4ohm...K2X is a heavier driver and assume will lose some detail but have a heavier punch? Same adapter rings and very close on depth so Was thinking of doing a live comparison left and right. I put my girlfriends to shame and cant make up my mind!!
Have a look at the bottom of my post for my gear, I REALLY wanted to do the Thesis 3-ways as my front sound stage, but did not have a decent spot to mount the Mids and the Tweeters would not fit in my A-Pillers. I went with the Focal 165XP Utopias - front and they sound pretty dang good! For the rears; I grabbed another set of the 2-ohm Utopia woofers for the doors (NOTE: the woofers in the rear doors are actually closer to the drivers head than the front woofers) and mounted my Thesis Violino II 1.5 Tweeters in my rear C-Pillars (NOTE: These are head level and fire forward at the drivers head).

With 8 total speakers I was able to power them from a single 8-channels DSP amp. With the woofers at 2ohms, my amp is capable of sending 130w to the woofers. If I had gone with the Thesis 3-way, I would have had to bridge to channels and the Amp would have only powered the front, thus another amp would have been needed for the rear speakers. I wanted a stealthy look, with no major mods, and again - I am quite happy with the sound.

Also Note the Sax woofers spec down to 40hz, while the comparable Utopia 6.5's (component speakers) spec out at 60hz, - my "guess" is that means the Sax will produce better/more at the low end...

· Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Gotcha...so the only reason for not using the Sax was the ohm difference/amp? Size is virtually the same barring the terminals. I think I would have grabbed an amp to try them LOL...seriously...I will check out your post for sure. I am so tempted to stay with focals as I have the same gear as you plus good factory dash 3" spots for 3 way front. What can you let the Thesis 3 way go for? I can Grab the Sax and Violino for really reasonable money NIB and was thinking get the 3" Voce to complete a 3 way without the huge added thesis 3.0 cost?...alternativley, how much SQ is a result of the thesis 3.0....I cant believe that nobody has pulled the trigger on your set?...guess that we all have the same temperature reading for cost vs return maybe? Your thoughts?

· Super Moderator
2,615 Posts
Oh checked out the post and should have done that before asking about price... sorry.. $3500 for the set correct? long thread lol
It's better to discuss business using the CONVERSATION feature, we can talk there if you like...

· Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The AC amps will push them. They can probably soak up more wattage, but unless you're trying for public address levels, I'd think you'll be okay.

I'm a fan if Morel in terms of bang for the buck, but I've never heard a set of $5500+ (car) speakers. My most expensive set was Boston Pros, many years ago.

I've put plenty of Focals in for people, as well as Morels. I just slightly favor the Morel tweeter. Some are the opposite.
Thanks so much...I am ready for a change from Focal although have been happy for sure... Have a set of Tempo MKII 6x9's and love them too. Never had a $5500 set either and wouldnt pay that LOL so the reality are they worth $2800 in a 3 way? We will find out I suppose. Have them on the way! Appreciate the Amp Advice...some have mentioned that the are comfortable up 200rms so if needed I will just bridge one of 4 channels for now! Thanks again

· Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It's better to discuss business using the CONVERSATION feature, we can talk there if you like...
Sorry bout that...Where do I find the conversation link? Is that where you start conversation and choose the member? So it stays private I assume...I will get this at some point...multi tasking my ass off lately...sorry again

· Super Moderator
2,615 Posts
Sorry bout that...Where do I find the conversation link? Is that where you start conversation and choose the member? So it stays private I assume...I will get this at some point...multi tasking my ass off lately...sorry again

I'll send you one, but you'll have to figure out how to reply (lol)...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.