DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a nice PG in the basement that I picked up used here and never got around to installing. It's a xenon x200x4 and is a beast. I've tried connecting it to a spare car battery and it just sucks that thing dry in no time. However, in the time I was able to listen to it, I found that some of the toggle switches were not working cleanly.

How would you guys recommend I go about safely testing this thing before putting it in use? I am thinking of putting it in the truck and letting it abuse the pioneer 6x9's that have only seen the stock head unit so far. :D

Appreciate any advice - even if it's to say leave this thing on the shelf and go get a cheap new class D. :laugh:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
Could be dirty/corroded pots. With the amp unhooked just cycle each pot 10-15 times, blow some compressed air through it, power it up and see if that helps. Should be able to use the battery to test results. No need to have gain cranked up for this. I'm running xenons as well and just went through this process. Seemed to remedy the issue for me.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,168 Posts
Those Xenons were great amps.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Carver. I'm glad to hear yours were able to clean up. I happened to remember the old days of using contact cleaner for tv tuners and volume knobs, so I ordered a plastic-safe one and will give that a shot as well.

As far as cranking gains goes - my thinking was to try to put some load on the different channels and make sure there wouldn't be any thermal issues. I suppose I could just power it off jumper cables to the running truck in the garage and hook it up to some 8ohm home speakers I have - piss off the neighbors. :laugh:
 
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Top