DiyMobileAudio.com Car Stereo Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After reading that putting the tweeters centered axis was a time consuming and bad idea, i decided to go with putting the tweeters on axis to the driver.

From assumptions, it would seem as if the driver side would be 30 degrees while the passenger would be 70-80 degrees.

The problem i am experiencing would be if i fiberglassed the sail panels, wouldn't each sail panel look "too different?" I mean one at 30 degrees from the viewpoint (have them hot glued on for the time being) looks completely off from 70-80 degrees. I would like to try to make both sail panel pods look the same, but i don't see how this is going to happen. Is this a sacrifice i have to make?

Otherwise, i don't know how else i am going to angle the tweeters. They are Hertz MLK 165 "deep chamber" tweeters.

Thanks.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I use to be a stickler for equal path lengths and placing tweeters as close to the midrange as possible in the kick-panels. Those set-ups sound more coherent and correct (less smearing) when the car is parked.

From my ears, you will lose high-end definition while driving as road and wind noise eats up the treble.

I enjoy my stereo much more while driving and have two sets of tweeters. A pair by the midrange in the kick panels and another up top placed behind my mirrors to augment what would be lost. I cross my tweeters up top as 9k.

I will say that tweeters up top let you enjoy your stereo more while driving while having them down low in the kick panels on axis gives a more accurate stereo image while parked.

From what you wrote, I know you are just going with one pair of tweeters but I think it's pretty has the same effect.

·
Registered
328 Posts
If you truelly want to get your tweets on axis, then you'll just have to deal with the difference in aesthetics. Having them off-axis is the only way you are going to have a symmetrical appearance. Unless, of course, you own a McLaren F1 with the seat in the middle. Now that would make staging easy, but you would need a ****load of deadening to even partially hear your music over the engine lol.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts